Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR Caprice Stock RPM Tachometer Bouncing / Engine Running Normal

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Was the replacement coil new or used? Was it replaced with a Bosch MEC718 or something else?

vr84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Caprice 5.0L
I'm tired of fixing the ignition system especially when I replaced everything just over 2 years ago to prevent problems in future, it's time for the LPG to go, my savings are zero after the cost of requiring regular LPG tuning / servicing and replacement ignition parts. It's an old car, best to revert to stock and put it on club reg for some proper savings.

The entire ignition system was replaced with brand new parts by my auto elec to stock specifications 2 years ago, he didn't believe in using non standard components.

LPG is just not worth it, especially in cars where the distributor costs $700 to replace since it's buried in the guts of the firewall, lpg savings are only about $500 a year

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah I had gas on an old bus. It was great for about 4 to 5 years, maybe a bit longer. Then it started to cost me money and lots of it. I kept fixing it until i parted out the vehicle but in hindsight I wouldn't mess with gas again.

CCCMikey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS '95. LPG. 513,000KM
I'm still running LPG after 10 years, but I'm lucky that the only failure was my own fault when a battery terminal came loose and killed the computer. Got another from the wreckers for $100, programmed it and passed the ten year tank rego for $300. I go through a tank a week though so for me the savings are pretty attractive. Only fault now is a slow gas leak up front that might be in the thing the coolant goes into but I can't seem to locate the leak. (Can buy a detector pen.) It's a direct injection system on a VS V6. I agree though that the time is not far off when LPG will be dead since they keep upping the price and the rubber in the mixers / combiners will be starting to perish in a lot of LPG vehicles by now. By then, Electric is probably the most economical choice.

vr84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Caprice 5.0L
Maybe the issue is the new Bosch parts just aren't as reliable as the originals, the car had a stock factory distributor originally and was fine for decades even with LPG, this replacement though 2 years and it's dead. LPG will just stress these ignition components more than petrol would, so I think the best way is just go back to petrol only.

If the distributor was in an easy to access location I would probably just keep the LPG and replace the dizzy every 2 / 3 years, but the repair costs are just too much since it's basically 20cm behind the rest of the firewall.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I don't believe genuine Bosch distributors are available any more and you are correct, the aftermarket stuff just isn't as good.

vr84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Caprice 5.0L
I'll find out what my mechanic ends up using for the distributor, he will either use bosch or if not available probably a local changeover

vr84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Caprice 5.0L
So rather than gambling on a $700 distributor change, we decided to try and replace the components that are cheaper in price beforehand.

Started with the ignition module as having one spare is handy anyway, however that fixed the problem, so luckily got out of the situation fairly cheap in comparison.

Tacho isn't bouncing anymore and runs perfect on petrol and LPG again.

Last edited:

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
good news mate.
Thanks for letting us know

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Always best to replace the lowest value (price and installation effort) items first.