Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR inconsistent drive issues HELP

Shayluuuh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina 3.8 Series 2
I have an auto VR Berlina that’s just developed a VERY inconsistent problem. After it gets warmed up, if I come to a complete stop, it will not take off as it should. I can put my foot to the floor, it will not rev past 2 and a half ks and it barely crawls. Putting it in 1st, 2nd or 3rd does not change it. If I put it in N and put my foot down it does rev out as it should. I’ve found recently that if I just keep on the throttle (especially when I’m first in line at the lights) it slowly speeds up, and then just snaps back in to it. It doesn’t change to 2nd until it comes right. Trans fluid is at full and looks clean. I’ll be hooking it up to a scan tool when I can (perks of working at a dealership). If anyone has any advice I’d love to hear it!

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
How do you know the oil is clean, checking the dip stick is not a proper indication of true colour. How long since a trans service? If all good there then it could be TPS, speed sensor or solenoids.

Shayluuuh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina 3.8 Series 2
How do you know the oil is clean, checking the dip stick is not a proper indication of true colour. How long since a trans service? If all good there then it could be TPS, speed sensor or solenoids.
Not sure how long it’s been, I’ve only had this car for a few months and it didn’t come with any service papers. I’ve been meaning to chuck it through a service soon though. Cheers!

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Sounds like you might be in "limp home mode":

What is "limp-home mode" ? This is a fault mode in which the transmission either loses electrical power or the PCM deactivates all of the electronics. The transmission will default to max line pressure. The driver will have Reverse and 3rd, with manual 2nd available by putting the gearshift in 2 or 1 (doesn't matter). 1st, 4th, and TCC lockup will not be available. It will not hurt the car to drive it like this for short periods, but use manual 2nd to get the car moving, and be aware that the trans will generate more heat than normal while operating in limp-home mode due to increased torque converter slippage during 2nd gear starts and no lockup in 3rd gear.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If it is in limp mode then it's probably one or more of three solenoids.