Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR Self Leveling Suspension

Kingy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Senator
Hi I have a VR senator currently the self levelling system is disconnected. I have just fitted a new set of wheels which have 20x10's with 275's on the rear which is a snug fit. Now what I would like to know is before I look into a new suspension setup is how the levelling system works and pros and cons of keeping it or replacing it. Thanks in advance

shanhsv

Luvo
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais V6 & VSII Senator 215i
Basicly it works by a compresser pumping up ur shocks when the back end sits too low from what ever reason, too much sh!t in the boot, trailer or fat mates etc.
Pros: makes for a comfy ride, less camber wear on tyres under load, no saggy arse end.
Cons: not as good sporty handling, the shocks cost a lot more, more that may need replacing at some point.
If you use the car as daily/family car and dont corner hard too often then the self levelling may be useful. If you have a more spirited driving style, then maybe leave it diconnected. Personally i love it. I often fill my car with stuff for going away camping or kids stuff, or tow a box trailer full of crap, but when the isnt full i can take it on the back roads for a bit of fun through tight turns at 100 and it handles fine. Not great but still fine

simmons001

I like VS Caprices
Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Grange/VS Caprice S1 5.0
Basicly it works by a compresser pumping up ur shocks when the back end sits too low from what ever reason, too much sh!t in the boot, trailer or fat mates etc.
Pros: makes for a comfy ride, less camber wear on tyres under load, no saggy arse end.
Cons: not as good sporty handling, the shocks cost a lot more, more that may need replacing at some point.
If you use the car as daily/family car and dont corner hard too often then the self levelling may be useful. If you have a more spirited driving style, then maybe leave it diconnected. Personally i love it. I often fill my car with stuff for going away camping or kids stuff, or tow a box trailer full of crap, but when the isnt full i can take it on the back roads for a bit of fun through tight turns at 100 and it handles fine. Not great but still fine

Replacement shocks are impossible to find. I tried for ages

shanhsv

Luvo
Reaction score
Members Ride
I bought genuines for mine late last year. The monroe gas raisers are the same thing if you cant find anything. Check the connection too coz holden have a clip on hose but mine is a screw on type. Not sure if the screw on is a hsv thing

simmons001

I like VS Caprices
Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Grange/VS Caprice S1 5.0
I bought genuines for mine late last year. The monroe gas raisers are the same thing if you cant find anything. Check the connection too coz holden have a clip on hose but mine is a screw on type. Not sure if the screw on is a hsv thing

Got any details on this? Part nos etc?

Ive been repeatedly told they are ONR

shanhsv

Luvo
Reaction score
Members Ride
Im not sure if they have or not for vs but vt-vz may fit too as normal shock do. Try the gas raisers coz they are a bit cheaper and theres no reason why they wont fit. If connection is different you can buy the airline kit for about $30. Check the connection first coz i bought a kit off holden and it was the wrong type (clip on) so i went to autopro and got the one i actually needed (monroe AK18).