Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR Speed Sensor Wiring

Bud

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Shagmobile
mal62 said:
Yes i have a 94 Vr V6 Wagon that i converted over from auto to manual and the wife has a VS V6 wagon that i want to convert as well but she won't let me near it cause she wants to keep it as an auto :( , but sooner or later she has to go out for awhile and you never know what could happen in that time :yeah: . i know there are other issues with the speed sensor and the ECU. The guy that i was talking to about this issue said that square wave pickup pulse etc from the VSS and the ECU is really the problem its not just a wiring problem as such

Are you running with an automatic computer or a manual computer? If you have a manual computer it must just be a wiring thing because you are using both the computer and speed sensor that Holden used so there is no reason why it won't work. Yes I have been told that the auto computer can't read the signal from the speed sensor on the T5. If you have a manual chip then it is just a matter of finding where to connect it.

mal62

VR Going Wild
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5 Speed Wagon & VS Auto Wagon & 98 VS Statesman
I am still running the Auto loom & ECU but have had the chip programmed to a manual and increased to 155 kw.

Bud

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Shagmobile
Here are some pics of VR manual connectors that may help you. The speed sensor wire is the purple one with the white stripe. It goes into A-10 in the connector.

Attachments

• VR Pinouts.jpg
    VR Pinouts.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 1,063
  • VR Pinouts (1).jpg
    VR Pinouts (1).jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 1,295
  • VR Pinouts (2).jpg
    VR Pinouts (2).jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 932
  • VR Pinouts (3).jpg
    VR Pinouts (3).jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 662
  • VR Pinouts (4).jpg
    VR Pinouts (4).jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 1,159

Bud

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Shagmobile
I've got the speed sensor working with the VS manual computer and automatic loom. Yes I was right, as the auto VSS and manual VSS give out different signals, they connect to the ECU with different pins. All I needed to do was move the purple wire with the white stripe to D2 on the ECU (there was no wire there previously) and it's now fine.

A tip for new players - there are many different ECUs for the VS. For example, if the car was an auto, Holden would not fit the circuitry for the manual VSS. This means that the VSS will never work if you just put a manual chip into an auto ECU, because the circuitry is not there. I have been told that taxis and police cars have the fully populated computers so that is what you should look for at the wreckers. Holden got their act together with the VT and had all the ECUs the same. That is you can use the same ECU with the V6 auto, V6 manual, V8 auto, V8 manual, SS, V6 supercharged etc as long as you have the correct chip.

I hope this is helpful.

My factory cruise control no longer works so that's the next thing to investigate! It would have been a lot easier if I'd had a VS manual for my donor car instead of a VR manual. Oh well......

<update> Cruise is now working - the second brake pedal switch wasn't adjusted correctly from when I changed the pedal box </update>

Last edited:

mal62

VR Going Wild
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5 Speed Wagon & VS Auto Wagon & 98 VS Statesman
do you know if this would be the same for the VR v6 ecu or not, using the auto loom etc

Bud

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Shagmobile
I'm not sure, though the first step would be to make sure that your speed sensor wire is connected to your ECU as per the photos I attached earlier. These are from a factory VR manual loom. If the speed sensor still doesn't register with your ECU then I would think that you would need a manual VR ECU to put your chip into. It's too bad you didn't see my VR manual ECU on eBay a couple of weeks ago. Oh well.

holdenrocks

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Commodore
heyyy ... how i could change the wiring from where ???? from ecu thats all ?? and change the wiring to somewhere on ecu plugged ???

holdenrocks

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Commodore
so what the number for wiring thats i can move to ???

White/blue.......... Earth
Pink/blue.............12 volt accessories
Purple/white......to speedo side of ECU (plug to a-10 on connecter ???)