Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

brahms808

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive S2 V6 Wagon
I own a VR Exec S2 Wagon. I had a secondhand auto trans installed beginning of last year, no recon,

I've been having problems recently with it, it struggles to change from 1st to 2nd, but gets better when warmed up, the speed sensor display has stopped working and the lights on the trans too, it shudders and revs low and dims the lights when gears are changed into R, D and P, also when I check the level when hot it is really low but when checked cold it is in the high mark.

No error code is flashing up either.

Any ideas? Booked into an auto spec, but thought I'd ask, one guy had a quick look today and reckons it is leaking and is struggling with pressure.

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International 3.0L
Question. You said that when you check it hit its low. Do you check it with the engine running and in park?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Trans uses the speed sensor to figure out when to change gear (as well as TPS etc). I'd also go along witn aussieforlife11's comments as well....you may be using the wrong method to check trans oil level.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
+1 for method
+2 for vss

also if it was lacking pressure it'd most likely have burnt out the 1st clutch pack by now, slip in 1st, flare into 2nd and the fluid would be visibly burnt.

brahms808

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive S2 V6 Wagon
Yeah, I check it in Park with the car running.

The fluid is pretty dark, brown/black. Driving fine today though, shifting into all gears much smoother. I chucked some fresh fluid in last night.

parvez

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR COMMODORE
maybe needs a service??? helped me mine when i had my trans problem.

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International 3.0L
+1 for service. as soon as you notice that the fluid is looking burnt, you should replace the fluid and change the filter before it does any damage.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Second hand trans and not servicing at regular intervals... these things don't look after themselves you know.