Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR V-8 SS

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Progress continues:
All fuel sorted (and checked for leaks - all good). Booster vac, map, heater cntrl vac sorted. Carbon canister is hooked up, pcv is on. Cruise and throttle cable sorted - bracket re-drilled.
Temporary clutch fan delete for testing - will fit fan back on later.
Just need a little vac line tidying and sort out engine breather for drivers rocker cover.

Tried starting last weekend - fail. Cranks but no hint of firing.
Adjusted timing advanced. Tried this weekend - almost. Tried while jumper leads on for max starter power - and it runs. . . . really horribly and won't idle.
Plan from here is triple double check timing and reset to stock. I think I'm still a way off.
Then finish off little things ready to drive again and build a new tune file.

Last edited:

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Did you keep the same injectors or change those too? I would've expected it to have a decent idle haha.

Is it possible to route that accelerator cable through the manifold runners so that it's not over the top of the manifold? I read somewhere that a VN group a throttle cable is long enough for to go around the back of the manifold neatly. Not sure on availability though.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
Does it have the adjustable iac port on the rear like there v6 one has

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Did you keep the same injectors or change those too? I would've expected it to have a decent idle haha.

Is it possible to route that accelerator cable through the manifold runners so that it's not over the top of the manifold? I read somewhere that a VN group a throttle cable is long enough for to go around the back of the manifold neatly. Not sure on availability though.
Yeap, swapped over super6 injectors.
I tried a dozen different routing options for the throttle cable including as you suggest. But this is the only one without super tight bends or stretching too far.
I might get a longer cable one day. But this wil do for now.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Started it this weekend. Got it going with riming light in diag mode - could only get to 0° and the lock arm on dissy hit the coolant crossover fitting.
Moved dissy 1/8th and reset leads back one spot each, fired it up, 4°, so moved dissy a bit, Bang on - 11° base at tdc.

I'll lock that down at some point and refit fan. Then it's just the rocker cover breather and I might replace the heater tap and done.
Finding time is the hardest thing lately

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
You really need your apprentice to pick up the slack. ....:)

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Completed
20180705_202943~2.jpg

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Is this your drag bus?? If yes can you get rid of the clutch fan?? Might save some HP but you know doubt already know that.