Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR V6 Comm, Due to re Gas the Air Con

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
You don't loose 10% oil from a gas leak
I didn't say that, read it again. I said loosing 10% of gas reduces ( starves ) 40% of oil returning to your compressor, the oil is there but the pressor drops stops the oil return. Black Art, lol, so its just a guessing game. So just charging your system isn't really bullet proof to say that it wont stuff up 3 months down the track if it has no leaks, so its pot luck.
According to Scotty I should of changed out my condenser when I replaced my compressor.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
I didn't say that, read it again. I said loosing 10% of gas reduces ( starves ) 40% of oil returning to your compressor, the oil is there but the pressor drops stops the oil return. Black Art, lol, so its just a guessing game. So just charging your system isn't really bullet proof to say that it wont stuff up 3 months down the track if it has no leaks, so its pot luck.
According to Scotty I should of changed out my condenser when I replaced my compressor.
Very Interesting!

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
corroded liquid line and condenser are probably the most common problems with the VR and VS AC systems. Mad not to change a receiver dryer every regas, only adds 30 bucks, if that to the job and you reduce the risk of it exploding. I'm using an old TX valve and AC was regassed well over 2 years ago and is still icy cold. Next service TX is on the list.
I've had the VR for 24 years, still the same Compressor still the condenser Change the filter/dries ever 4 years or so but I sice of them leave the left side of the filter/drier LOSE. this has been done twice in 23 Years.

by the way I put the VR under Black light to see is any leaks and it seems ok (NO GREEN after I cleaned the Original one after a re-gas, cleaned it and went for 120K drive the next day and checked it that night, all ok for old car)

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I've had the VR for 24 years, still the same Compressor still the condenser Change the filter/dries ever 4 years or so but I sice of them leave the left side of the filter/drier LOSE. this has been done twice in 23 Years.

by the way I put the VR under Black light to see is any leaks and it seems ok (NO GREEN after I cleaned the Original one after a re-gas, cleaned it and went for 120K drive the next day and checked it that night, all ok for old car)
They used good compressors on the VR and VS that's for sure. Pretty good your liquid line and condensor lasted like it has. Probably helps having looked after it. Reckon if you look after your system then the oil would probably help reduce the common corrosion prob at the nut joins. Plenty of people don't look after these old bus' hence why it a common problem.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Servicing AC systems is a regulated and well defined process. Problem is, it’s costly to do things correctly and by the book. So businesses seem to cut corners to reduce costs and gain customers. Oddly, for the most part, it works well.

But I wouldn’t say adding oil is a black art. If it is a black art, doesn’t that make the aircon techs witch doctors :eek::p

The regulations are to do with the gas, the lubrication is for the compressors moving parts and is not regulated.
To completely remove all oil from a system then add the exact right amount would add considerable amounts of expense to the job.
Trevor will claim he can clean the whole system in 10 minutes. In the real world it takes a long time to work on AC systems. I did a Peugeot 307 yesterday it took me 2 hours to swap over the compressor it came pre filled. To clean out the whole system then clean the pre filled oil out just to add the "Right" amount would add on like 4-5 hours of extra labour. So I fitted the pre filled compressor because it should have close to the right amount of oil.

If "experts" say this is the wrong way then they have only read about it and never actually done it for a living. There's a difference between the "right" way and the real world way that works.
Then you get these people that say "i will never take my car to you" good take it to the next guy that's going to do it exactly the same or worse. Or spend the years learning the trade so you can do it your self then will turn around and agree.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Trevor will claim he can clean the whole system in 10 minutes
Nah I don't recharge as I don't have the equipment, 30-40min of vacuum your lines should remove most of the moisture and refrigerant out, I was going to buy those cans on ebay with the stop leak but decided against it and fix the problem properly, had it tested only took them 5min to show me my compressor seals were stuffed I could see the stuff coming out, they quoted me about 1k to do the job so I just went ahead and changed the stuff out my self and left the drier for them to do, in the end saved 550 bucks. But now I'm regretting not changing my condenser as I have to get on the open road before I benefit the full coldness.

6-7hr to change over a compressor fark, removing oil and injecting the right amount is like under 5min job, couldn't you find the tools again. Lol. :)

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Nah I don't recharge as I don't have the equipment, 30-40min of vacuum your lines should remove most of the moisture and refrigerant out, I was going to buy those cans on ebay with the stop leak but decided against it and fix the problem properly, had it tested only took them 5min to show me my compressor seals were stuffed I could see the stuff coming out, they quoted me about 1k to do the job so I just went ahead and changed the stuff out my self and left the drier for them to do, in the end saved 550 bucks. But now I'm regretting not changing my condenser as I have to get on the open road before I benefit the full coldness.

6-7hr to change over a compressor fark, removing oil and injecting the right amount is like under 5min job, couldn't you find the tools again. Lol. :)

You like to twist words and lie. Two hours to do the compressor 4-5 to disassemble parts line flush and check we have a line flusher at work but you cant flush through the TX valve so you have to pull the whole system apart leave the evaporator obviously as in a 307 it's like 10-12 hours to pull the dash. and flush it all.
You will never remove all the oil from the compressor without taking it apart as it has an internal accumulation sump to hold the oil in the compressor.
You think you know what you're talking about but lack any experience so you're just parroting what you've read on the internet. Go home you pathetic troll.

rossimo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s2 wagon
There is no such thing as a regas, it's a sealed system, if it needs gas it's because something is rooted, it needs repairing and regassing afterwards.

Fancy ac machines are definitely not required, we've used them at work and always go back to a basic trolley setup with manifold/gauge set, vac pump, recovery unit, scales and ac gas/nitrogen bottles etc. Simple and reliable.

I've only ever done ac on the same vehicles, 70 series Landcruisers due to working in an underground mine and in my experience the difference in variances of oil one to the next has had no measurable effect on operation, ie measuring to the exact ml of oil is not the end of the world.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
You like to twist words and lie. Two hours to do the compressor 4-5 to disassemble parts line flush and check we have a line flusher at work but you cant flush through the TX valve so you have to pull the whole system apart leave the evaporator obviously as in a 307 it's like 10-12 hours to pull the dash. and flush it all.
You will never remove all the oil from the compressor without taking it apart as it has an internal accumulation sump to hold the oil in the compressor.
You think you know what you're talking about but lack any experience so you're just parroting what you've read on the internet. Go home you pathetic troll.

I am home, haven't you learnt that flushing does nothing to the system, its pointless on modern cars. I replaced my TXV and compressor in around 30min, torqued to specs new seals. As for the oil in compressor you just tip it out and turn the pulley upside down no need to strip it down which can stuff new seals. If you went to the trouble of flushing then why not just get a new condenser and drier it be cheaper than paying 5hr labour which really does nothing to these modern cars with small cores.
I had my car back within 2hr and they had a terrible time removing my drier as the last person who owned it before me crushed the pipe by overtighten it, they wanted to charge me 30min labour after quoting me 175 with the change over drier and re-gas. 160 for charging the system after vacuuming and 15 for drier change over.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I am home, haven't you learnt that flushing does nothing to the system, its pointless on modern cars. I replaced my TXV and compressor in around 30min, torqued to specs new seals. As for the oil in compressor you just tip it out and turn the pulley upside down no need to strip it down which can stuff new seals. If you went to the trouble of flushing then why not just get a new condenser and drier it be cheaper than paying 5hr labour which really does nothing to these modern cars with small cores.
I had my car back within 2hr and they had a terrible time removing my drier as the last person who owned it before me crushed the pipe by overtighten it, they wanted to charge me 30min labour after quoting me 175 with the change over drier and re-gas. 160 for charging the system after vacuuming and 15 for drier change over.
OMG you're duller than my drift.