Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR / VS Chrome Window Trim Upgrade Guide (Part 1/2)

adept

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR Executive & 99 VT XU8
VR / VS Chrome Window Trim Upgrade Guide

my VR started its life as an exec, so after a recent respray i thought id take the time to dress it up a bit and replace the faded plain black trims that came with it.

there may already be a guide for this, however this guide is based on my experience, having just pulled the trims out at the wreckers and fitting them to my car.

also, as there is another thread covering the rear quarter windows, so I wont cover them here.
for the rear quarter window removal & replacement, please refer to : https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/how-fix-vn-vs-boot-water-leak.35199

the exterior window mould replacement guide is below. (this should be done first, to avoid double handling of taking your trims off etc)

time to complete
estimated : 2 hours (1hr to remove & 1 hr to replace - being generous)

removal guide - front
required tools
- flat head screwdriver (medium size blade - long neck)
- phillips head screwdriver (medium size - preferably magnetic tip)

steps
commin soon - when i have time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

removal guide - rear
required tools
- flat head screwdriver (medium size blade - long neck)
- phillips head screwdriver (medium size - preferably magnetic tip)

steps
1. remove the interior door trims
1a. remove the lock retainer (little red clip in the lock)
1b. remove the lock itself followed by the backplate
1c. undo the two screws in the grab handles, then remove the grab handles
1d. remove the window winder (if you have one) by removing the clip on the back first, then by pulling on the winder
1e. remove the door trim
1f. on the side of the door closest to the front of the car, is a little plug retaining the outer window rubber - unclip the plug (this allows access to the screw closest to the front of the car - see next step)

2. on the underside of your window you should see two semi-circle cutouts, with screws behind them - remove the two screws (see pic below for reference) - being careful not to drop them inside your door, or you may not see them again [theres a little valley at the very top inside the door that is near impossible to retrieve anything from]

doorscrews1.jpg

3. using a tool that wont damage your paint ( i used a flat head, wrapped in a load of duct tape ) from the rear of the car, GENTLY pry the outer mould up until you can remove it.

4. remove your speed clips and clean the area underneath the mould you just removed.

5. re-apply the speed clips to the new trim in the same way they were on the old one and if need be replace the little white screw holders if the ones on your new trims are iffy (you should be able to figure out, how they fit inside the trims)

6. line up the trim on the outer edge of the window lip and gently push down along it - making sure to keep it balanced so it go's on properly.

7. replace the screws taken out in step 2.

8. replace your door trim.

9. enjoy!

the interior belt mould replacement guide is below. (the exterior moulds should already be done at this point)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

time to complete
estimated : 2 hours (1hr to remove & 1 hr to replace - being generous)

removal guide - front
required tools
- flat head screwdriver (medium size)
- phillips head screwdriver (medium size)

steps
1. remove the lock retainer (little red clip in the lock)
2. remove the lock itself followed by the backplate
3. loosen the grab handles
4. pull back the top bit of the door trim back allowing you access to the bottom of the trim
5. using your flathead screwdriver, or hands remove the trim (i start from the front) by lifting up, and prying the trim up (the trims are slightly pliable and can be reshaped to fit tightly again if slightly deformed)

things to note: i didnt remove the airvents during my replacement.
although not required, if you have custom/good condition trims, i highly recommend removing the entire door trim as to best minimize any possible damage to them

removal guide - back
required tools
- flat head screwdriver (medium size)
- phillips head screwdriver (medium size)

steps
1. same as above, except i started from the center when lifting / prying the rear inner window trims.

replacement guide
required tools
- working hands (preferably with 5 digits)
- rubber handled screwdriver (for the ones that dont want any scratches on their windows)
- dremel with cutting bit (to trim any excess on the replacement trims)

using your obtained nous by having removed the trims from another vehicle, you can basically reverse the process.

steps
1. remove the lock retainer (little red clip in the lock)
2. remove the lock itself followed by the backplate
3. loosen the grab handles
4. pull back the top bit of the door trim back allowing you access to the bottom of the trim
5. remove the existing trim (using methods detailed above)
6. line up the replacement trims 'guide line' with the top of the door, and starting from the front, push the trim in, and forwards.
(this will allow you to get an idea as to whether you need to dremel any parts of the trim to make it fit.)
7. dremel / shave any parts of the trim that prevent it from fitting nicely.
8. using your hands or, a the handle of your rubber handled screwdriver firmly push down on the trim until it drops into place.
9. replace your trims, pushing firmly on the pop pin's along the top, followed by tightening your grab handles and replacing the lock.

-----

if you have any other tips, to do with part1 or part2 of this guide, feel free to submit them, and ill merge them in.

-----

update: got my car back, so ill slowly be updating this thread with better pics n instructions as i go.

Last edited: