Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS 2.5" exhaust with no mufflers?

JSTCOZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT S-Pack II
Hey all,

I got a 2.5" system on my car a month ago and want something louder all round and sounds different. I was going to remove my resonator even thought i read people saying 'no it drones', 'you'll gte pulled over' blah blah blah etc.

I looked under my car the other day and realised my car doesn't even have a resi on it HAHA. So basically I am thinking of removing the centre muffler to make the car louder and grunty sounding and place a straight pipe there instead.

I could put a smaller muffler in but that will cost $100 and a straight pipe will cost me $40.

My question about the straight pipe all the way through the car is, will i lose power or will fuel consumption suffer? Also has anyone done this to their car and had any probs with cops or anythign like that, as always a video of the car would be great!

Since I have a mate doing this for me, if i dont like the sound i can just throw the centre muffler back on, I just want to hear more about a complete straight through system effects.

Cheers

Matt

PS: Vid of my car being given the boot is at this link >> YouTube - Commodore VS take off exhaust

This is another link I found of a new commodore with no mufflers >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6xfdLNfxlE << I don't mind the sound.

Last edited:

Smallies

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais 3.8/ VN Calais 5.0/ VY Wagon
There was a VS driving around my local town with no exhaust piping at all for a while lol, just running straight from the extractors. They were absolute dero's. It was the loudest, most disgusting sound I have ever heard.

Removing that muffler will indeed make the car louder, but only through making the sound a higher pitch. You need a good balance of volume and note man.

Personally I havent had trouble with the cops with my loud cars. You just need to be extremely careful where you put your foot down.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Loud, crap, did I mention crap?

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Smaller muffler less noise absorbtion and still legal.

BoNeZ-01

"..of mice and men.."
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 50th Anniversary
There was a VR or VS V6 ute that used to drive past my place at least once a day, running extractors, high flow CAT, and no mufflers..
Sounded like shite!
Seriously, open pipe V6's just sound crap.. but just my opinion..
If you want more 'note' then maybe go for a set of extractors?
But leave at least 1 muffler on.. you'l wish you had eventually.. lol

Smallies

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais 3.8/ VN Calais 5.0/ VY Wagon
Yep, it's a N/A V6. Don't try to make it sound like something it isn't.

VZ57SSZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VF Series II SSV
Sounds almost Identical to my VS until I put the Extractors on, if you want a better sound invest in a set.