Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Commodore over cranking?

velo

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF SS - Black Edition
Hey Guys.
I recently purchased a 96 VS Commodore and it runs perfectly fine apart from one thing i've noticed.
When starting, it seems to crank for longer than it needs to, it always starts fine but just cranks a bit longer like its not going to start.
It is a 1 owner vehicle and I have all receipts for everything that's ever been done to it.
Any suggestions on what could be causing this issue? Bad starter motor maybe?
Thanks.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I'd be looking at either injectors or possibly the fuel pressure regulator. It may also be the fuel pump.

Pull the vacuum line off the regulator first and see if it is wet inside or smells like fuel. If not, then it could be either the injectors bleeding down, or the pump not having enough pressure to prime properly.

Try turning the key to on about two or three times before you crank it to see if it makes a difference.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Changing the fuel filter may help too.

velo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for the suggestions guys, just drove it down to the local shops with a quarter tank of fuel left and hopped back in it to start it and it wouldn't fire.
First thing I thought of was to put some fuel in it and it fired right up.
Not sure if it's related to this starting issue but annoying none the less.

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
That could possibly be the return hose in the tank.
Does it crank quickly or does it seem slugish?

velo

Reaction score
Members Ride
That could possibly be the return hose in the tank.
Does it crank quickly or does it seem slugish?

Cranks fairly quickly.

velo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just had a look through the receipts and theres one here for a fuel pump and filter replaced around 9 months ago.
How likely would it be that this pump is now faulty?

Edit: Just checked the vacuum hose on the fuel pressure regulator and it seems to be dry.

Last edited:

jgtoranalc

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Statesman VR HSV 5L, Holden Torana LC
It's possible they didn't correctly put the return line on when they did the fuel pump. On right hand turns, do you lose power or is it sluggish? If yes then definitely the return line hose is off. But I personally don't think it would cause it to have hard starting as only the fuel line going to the fuel rail should have pressure.
So I would go with a faulty Fuel Pressure Regulator.

velo

Reaction score
Members Ride
I have ordered a new fuel pressure regulator which will be here tomorrow just to rule that out as being the problem.

velo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just an update guys, I went to install the regulator this afternoon and have stuffed the screw head because it is in such an annoying spot and it's done up too tight to get a decent grip on, why they made it a phillips heads and not a socket head is beyond me.
What I'll have to do is pull the fuel line off then I'll be able to get it off easily.
When I went to de-pressurize the system, I took the fuel pump relay out and then went to start it. Most guides tell me that the car will run for a bit until it runs out of fuel.
Mine wouldn't even fire at all, does this indicate the injectors are leaking when I switch off the car?