Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS commodore Reliable and mods

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Cheers for the great advice guys. I really want the VS haha, but earlier today, got a call from a mate saying a local dealer is selling a VZ commodore 220xxx with RWC, mint condition for $5500.
Which one would you guys take? The VS in RWC state will cost about $5000.

I am really skeptical about the alloytec engine though. In regards to the timing chain issue…

Any thoughts?
Get both.

Anthony .

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR V6 Executive
I’d go the vs mate, the vz v6‘s are known to be problematic with timing chains, ecu issues etc
Cheers for that. When do the timing chains fail anyway? My bro has a VZ 180xxx, first 100xxx we’re country miles done by previous owner, well serviced, but runs mint. Do they fail at high mileage or around the 200xxx mark?

Also, from a reliability point of view, apart from the timing chain issue, does the VZ alloytec have any advantages over the VS ecotec?

For some reason, my mechanic reckons the VS are in between technology and are way inferior to the VZ alloytec. Don’t know how I feel about that

Too many people say the timing chains are “consumable items” which can’t be good

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Cheers for that. When do the timing chains fail anyway? My bro has a VZ 180xxx, first 100xxx we’re country miles done by previous owner, well serviced, but runs mint. Do they fail at high mileage or around the 200xxx mark?

Also, from a reliability point of view, apart from the timing chain issue, does the VZ alloytec have any advantages over the VS ecotec?

For some reason, my mechanic reckons the VS are in between technology and are way inferior to the VZ alloytec. Don’t know how I feel about that

Too many people say the timing chains are “consumable items” which can’t be good
Only early alloys had bad rap for chains, although it is serviceable on all versions.
I'm no expert, but a new chain kit every 150,000km isn't a major in my eyes. 20k a year is still 7years between changes.

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak

have the chains been done yet?
Alloytecs need religious servicing otherwise they gunk up easily
Daughter has VS & VZ (V6s) and she is actively repairing VS to get it back on the road as she hates driving the VZ, the VZ has cost us more than the VS did in maintenance as has needed chain work.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Meh, I would say a VR is in between technology. A good VS is miles better but it would have to be an acclaim or similar with abs etc. Still, what does a VZ have over a VS? 20 years that's what. My VS was starting to fall apart 15 years ago, I'd hate to think how much work it would need now. Even my VE is slowly getting old too, so a VZ would probably be worse unless they're built better?

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Vs like most cars are reliable if you keep on top of things and treat them nicely.
About to tick over 485k in mine now, change things as you need.
Has extractors and an exhaust, nothing special honestly.

As for newer cars, it depends on how much they have been driven. It's chalk and cheese between my vs and vz's. But 420k kms difference between the 2 will do that.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

Country miles....

That is probably your answer. Long distance runs where the oil gets up to full operating temp is good. Short stop/start drives is terrible for oil and gunks it up quick.

The chains are the symptom but there are many causes. Servicing and the PCV system are the main culprits.

Anthony .

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR V6 Executive
C
Vs like most cars are reliable if you keep on top of things and treat them nicely.

As for newer cars, it depends on how much they have been driven. It's chalk and cheese between my vs and vz's. But 420k kms difference between the 2 will do that.
Cheers mate.
Any issue when running extractors and exhaust? Worth those mods you reckon?

Anthony .

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR V6 Executive
have the chains been done yet?
Alloytecs need religious servicing otherwise they gunk up easily
Daughter has VS & VZ (V6s) and she is actively repairing VS to get it back on the road as she hates driving the VZ, the VZ has cost us more than the VS did in maintenance as has needed chain work.
Cheers mate. Not sure if they have been yet as I have not decided if I want the VZ. Let’s assume no.

What is your daughter repairing? Is it the major stuff (I.e. timing chain on a VZ) or minor things like servicing and engine pipes, etc?

What would you pay for a ~200xxx VS V6 acclaim with decent interior but great panels and paint for the age (it has been garaged for quite a bit by an elderly man)?

Cheers

Anthony .

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR V6 Executive

Thanks for replying.
Has the VZ or VS treated you nicer?
Cheers