Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS commodore Reliable and mods

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
Cheers for the great advice guys. I really want the VS haha, but earlier today, got a call from a mate saying a local dealer is selling a VZ commodore 220xxx with RWC, mint condition for $5500.
Which one would you guys take? The VS in RWC state will cost about $5000.

I am really skeptical about the alloytec engine though. In regards to the timing chain issue…

Any thoughts?
If the timing chain has been done (with proof) and it has a full service history, go for the VZ because it's a newer car.... If you want better reliability though, go for the VY as it's almost identical to the VZ (interior wise) but has the 3.8 litre Ecotec like the VS you want...

How about this VX Berlina with 135,000km and it's sold by a dealer? Though it's in WA...

1656051501616.png

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2001-holden-berlina-vx-ii-auto/OAG-AD-20823806/?Cr=6

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Mods are what they are.
Did them on the p plates as you do, but never expected anything from it.

The VS is a 6, so just a good daily, drive anywhere, a little basic but solid overall.
The VZs are both 8s, so in a comparison not as good for daily commitments. Long drives I much prefer the VZ, but that's because it has cruise and all that.
Comparing apples to oranges unfortunately.

As a comparison, the old man has a VZ v6 wagon. It's a great daily, well maintained but also is driven by an old man so not abused. They are good if treated fine.

Either my VS or his VZ I'd gladly drive daily, it's much for muchness, VS is simpler and the VZ has a few more creature comforts.
Being an old man and keeping it 100% stock I'd take the VZ. Wanting to do anything else I'd consider the VS.

Draimond

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Executive
The VS ecotec has a 1960's engine with modern tech and years of mechanical history and improvements. They went to alloy tech as part of chasing emissions targets. Unfortunately, ford simply had the option to go double over head cam for an easy emissions fix where GM had to make a whole new V6, the alloytec.

I'd rather the classic any day. Simpler to work on and understand.
Not to mention the recent 928HP stock crank ecotec turbo. Corn fed boost on YouTube.

Have a sit in both? Decide what interior you like better. Both engines can be maintained, do a skid and drive you to the store. Personally I don't like any interior newer than the VS. how about you?

My grandad just had to replace the ecu in his VZ V6. Owned from new, currently around 120,000 km. Yeah he hasn't driven it much over the years. He also filled the engine with water a few years back, mixed up the coolant and oil caps

Last edited:

Anthony .

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR V6 Executive
The VS ecotec has a 1960's engine with modern tech and years of mechanical history and improvements. They went to alloy tech as part of chasing emissions targets. Unfortunately, ford simply had the option to go double over head cam for an easy emissions fix where GM had to make a whole new V6, the alloytec.

I'd rather the classic any day. Simpler to work on and understand.
Not to mention the recent 928HP stock crank ecotec turbo. Corn fed boost on YouTube.

Have a sit in both? Decide what interior you like better. Both engines can be maintained, do a skid and drive you to the store. Personally I don't like any interior newer than the VS. how about you?

My grandad just had to replace the ecu in his VZ V6. Owned from new, currently around 120,000 km. Yeah he hasn't driven it much over the years. He also filled the engine with water a few years back, mixed up the coolant and oil caps
I am not fussed about interior at all provided it is in good.

Loved the interior in both VZ and VR commodores…

Has the ecotec or alloytec treated you better in terms of reliability and costs, etc?

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
I am not fussed about interior at all provided it is in good.

Loved the interior in both VZ and VR commodores…

Has the ecotec or alloytec treated you better in terms of reliability and costs, etc?
What ever you get, if sh@t interior, you can see how your imagination is (design a new interior). New material, some glue, maybe staple gun. Whatever? To me the design team all should have been sacked. At least the team that designed the the vt interior.

Your car,do what you like? Expensive or cheap? Under the bonnet, turbo, supercharged? DYI.
Have fun. :) ;) :cool:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Nah Lex, I think this one takes out the prize....

1656142873633.png
1656142873250.png

1656142850288.png

1656142873250.png

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Reactions: Lex

Draimond

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Executive
When I was talking about interior, I wasn't necessarily talking about like the colour theme or Style. It's more like the hard physical layout and dimensions.

Like you jump in the driver's seat of a car and generally you immediately think this is all comfortable or this layout is just annoying or ... Etc. So aside from the "this panel would look better in a different colour" stuff.

I think a car is only as reliable as your ability to maintain it. The VS commodores are seriously falling off in spares availability. I need a new aircon switch right now and I remember paying 20 bucks for them 10 years ago but today they are rare and around $200 in the VS. general stuff like wheel bearings and suspension stuff are still available but some things are getting much harder.

Maybe I do need to go against my own preference and recommend the newer model here........
I'm happy to do all mechanical work myself but more importantly I'm happy to develop new solutions for problems and do custom work so the old VS suits me just fine.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I found on the VR the quality of parts from Repco and the likes to be below average on the most part.

Reactions: Lex