Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS commodore Reliable and mods

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
It's in the ridiculous money thread.

Anthony .

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR V6 Executive
Thanks for all the help guys!

I think I may just go the VE SV6 2007 or 2009, but I will have $2k in the kitty should the timing chain go blah.

Thoughts on the VE sv6 vs VZ commodore in terms of reliability and performance?

Just Damo

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 Omega, EA Fairmont (Restoration)

I think I may just go the VE SV6 2007 or 2009, but I will have $2k in the kitty should the timing chain go blah.

I believe the VE's more or less just have updated gear in comparison to the VZ right? I think as someone said, it just comes down to maintenance, regular services yada yada. Just go with what you feel more comfortable in and whatever has less issues.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
VE Series II V6 are a bit better than Series I V6.

MIK85

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Caprice 5.0
As so many have said, it comes down to personal preference. Having owned all 3 (VS, VZ & VE) I think it comes down to how you’re going to use it. I had a VZ SV8 6Lt auto, drove it to work every day (about a 40km round trip) with no issues at all. I haven’t owned a VZ V6 though.

Currently drive a VE V6 as my daily, same commute, and it’s never had a problem, ever, in 6 years. Both were always regularly serviced and maintained. VE has done 190,000, still seems to being strong (hope I haven’t jinxed myself for the drive home, haha)

Also got the VS V8 Ute at home as a cruiser, and had a few minor issues, as I’ve had with every VN-VS V8 I’ve ever had. Little stuff, but when I was younger and driving them as a daily, they were terribly unreliable. Just couldn’t trust them to get you somewhere no matter what. Something always played up.

On the flip side, owned a VS equipe V6 for a short period of time, and a V6 VS Ute that I drove every day for about 3 years, and it never gave me a headache.

So I guess, long story short, all of them are different, but will do what they need to if well maintained.

Comfort wise, I think the VE wins, but it has a terrible blind spot with the fat pillars between the windscreen and door, the VZ felt really plastic inside (more so than it should, even though it’s all plastic, if that makes sense) the VS can be noisy inside and also feels pretty povo with it’s instruments, and even the wiper and indicator arms.

I’d say comfort go newer. If you want it to feel a bit faster and probably cheaper to mod, I’d go the VS. The VZ and VE will have more power, but are heavier and just feel slower. The VN-VS 6s always felt like they went harder and faster than they probably did.

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega

Well the VE and VZ are pretty similar with reliability but some VZ's and some early VE's (like the ones you've mentioned) use a 5 speed auto which aren't the worst, but when they do go bad, there isn't as many parts for them as the 5 speeds had a fairly short production run...

That being said, the VE will have marginally better performance than the VZ but will handle a little better, and have a nicer interior in my opinion...

Definitely do your research though... If you're really concerned about reliability and still want a Commodore, go for a VY as it looks very similar to a VZ (Both externally and internally) but has the 3.8 litre as a VS does and is a little more comfortable and better quality than the VN-VS era...

Last edited:

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
This crowd know their commys!
For me my series 1 VE has been amazingly reliable. But I owned it since it was 3 years old and it had been run in perfectly, not like a lot of the shopping trolley's that don't get serviced.
Now heading towards 300km it has only broken down twice. The first time the radiator exploded at about 220k and then in lockdown the battery was going flat and died in the Bunnings carpark lol lol FML! It would have been preferable for it to go flat at Repco where I was headed next hahaha.
* I deliberately bought a VE with the 4 speed for reliability and low cost.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Look at the service history receipts, although alot of people will do oil changes themselves, so ask if they service the car, if so what do they use and what schedule

Inspect both cars

Look for tell tale signs that the car has been kept well, clean, newish belts and hoses, look under the oil cap for crud, stick a torch in the filler and see if its clean or sludged, look at the dip stick for discolouration, look for the engine fuming out the filler

Same same for brakes, good discs and pads, yadda yadda yadda

You cannot hide a poorly serviced car, no matter how shiny the paint is or how clean the interior