Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs common problems

Jay1211

Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 VS Series 1 Commodore Ute
'96 VS Ute 171K

Only Problems i have had so far is:
needed a new clutch, $740
in heavy rain i get a pond in the drivers foot well but that was serious flood weather,
A/C doesnt work on setting 1 and 2 but after reading through here ill be able to fix it,
Slight tapping like noise not tappets thou

EDIT: Now need a new Alternator decided to die today -.-

Last edited:

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
i dont know if this qualifys as from what i can tell the vs's all have the electronic climate control but in my vr the little vaccum contol valve that screws onto the drivers side of the heater box snapped off so even if you put it onto cool it wont as the water control tap wont close because theres no vaccum.dunno if it applies or not but i just thought id put it out there.

Wrong, Only Calais, Berlina, statesmen and caprice had Climate control, the rest have the shitty HVAC controls!

With that said, Well done on the thread dig to the noob that brought it up. It was created back in 2006 and unless its stickied, its not worth bringing back up again!

VZ57SSZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VF Series II SSV
VS Series II (171,000km)

In tank fuel pump - Replaced
Water pump - Replaced
lazy starter - Getting to it
Sway bar links - Replaced
Gearbox fail (Sungear or whatever it is) - Replaced with 2nd Hand box + Service
Intake Manifold Gasket - Replaced (Mace Metal Gasket)
TPS Sensor - Yet to replace
IAT Sensor - Yet to replace
02 Sensors - Yet to replace
Odometer stopped counting KM's (stupid VDO) - Replaced with lvl 3 dash (similar KM's)
Panhard Rod Bush (Replaced with Adjustable rod, due to being lowered)

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Wrong, Only Calais, Berlina, statesmen and caprice had Climate control, the rest have the shitty HVAC controls!

With that said, Well done on the thread dig to the noob that brought it up. It was created back in 2006 and unless its stickied, its not worth bringing back up again!

Then maybe someone should sticky it, it would save a lot of people a lot of searches. A sticky on each model would be even better.

On the subject of noobs digging threads.. make up your minds people. How many times do people get told on this forum 'use the search function'. Either flame them for not searching or flame them for thread digs, dont do both.

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International 3.0L

my apologies stig, i was wrong. thanks for the info. never had a vs yet so i was taking a stab in the dark. now i know for future reference

Maximus846

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS Commodore Wagon
Air bag plastic lifting up

Roof lining sagging

There is a thread somewhere on here that describes with pictures and what not, EXACTLY how to take out the lining and do it yourself...look around for it! :)

Its helped me ALOT!

Damo1981

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs acclaim
mine is changing into high gear to early and then holding high gear when slowing down.... My whole car shudders in between 40 and 60 kmph obviously because its in high gear to early.. Things I have done are centre bearing, engine mounts, clutches and seals in the box, new torque converter, new speed sensor, replaced throttle position sensor.... The only thing that stops it from doing what it is doing is when I disconnect the the throttle position sensor.... I have also replaced the ecu.... Any help would be appreciated as I don't know what to try next...

Wayno77

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais
My VS Calais has been in the family since 38k.

Problems we've experienced.
Alternator (x2)
Starter Motor (x2)
Radiator Core
Power Steering Rack
Computer - unable to communicate.
Climate Control switch
Heater switch
Roof Lining sagged
Coil Pack
Transmission (overheated on country drive towing heavy trailer) new transmission and trans cooler installed.
Ignition barrel

Car is now at 286k and still going strong, although have noticed I am having to spend more and more cash to keep it on the road 3k in last month. Have just got the ABS light come on permanently, yippee more cash leaving my wallet.

sleepyjean

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr acclaim
Trans, sandwich plate filter and gaskets = $65 same issue previously with a VS wagon was under warranty and had reco trans @$2500.
front hubs, cannot remember $
screen $175
roof lining sagged being a wagon easy to remove, clean off foam and reglue.
bonnet hinges worn
other than that basic globes, suspension, steering and tyres over 8 years