Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs common problems

old55

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 vs.s s2
Vs problems

I have 96 vs.s series 2 had the car on gas could not get it to run have done coil pack and ignition moduel
Most SERIOUS at 102000 klmn on the clock the diff locked up at 100klm talk about a scarey ride then freed up garage could not find the reason for the problem so i changed the diff

bc77

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Calais 5.7
Lesovers,

Whats the permenant solution to the sparkplug leads? I had mine replaced 6 months ago and Im starting to have the same symptons again, surley they cant need to be replaced again.

vsdore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS exec (RIP) & VYII 9C1
Had my VS for over 6 months now, I think it takes about that long to find all of a car's issues. It has done 98K and at the moment the problems are:

Slight drivetrain vibration under acceleration. Tailshaft?
Leaking rear main seal - of course.
Leaking water into the spare wheel well - rear quarter window seal I think.
A very annoying rattle somewhere in the back, either the boot or left rear door, still trying to find it.
Had to replace the aircon switch and the globes in the hazard and demist.
Trans seems a bit harsh on the gear changes to me - is this normal?

Thanks...

97 SEN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS HSV SENATOR
vsdore said:
Slight drivetrain vibration under acceleration. Tailshaft?

Thanks...
could be the tailshaft, but you'ld expect a vibration at 100kph. It could be the engine mounts or something else.

B

bns-sticky

Only new here
98 VS Series II Ute
Normal things like leads, plug
Coil pack
Looks like something shat its self tonight, a knock........knock knock knock.........knock noise
Noisey lifters
Power steering leak, half fixed, hoses replaced (free friend at pirtek)
Door rubbers (stikaflex)
Dint behind drivers back wheel (suction cap fixed it)
A few other little things too but cant remember

After reading a lot of the posts Im going to check a few things

SunCoastSister

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S1
Notorious said:
Air bag plastic lifting up

Roof lining sagging

Me too. VS Series 1. 200000k's Both started around 8 months ago. Also in QLD.
Must remove lounge suite from garage and give the car some TLC.

Is there any way to repair lining myself. I thought of making a small incision then spraying an adhesive into it but not sure if it would work. Hear it is about $150 to have repaired.

J

Joes_meat

- Leaky power steering pump.
- Undiagnosed clicking on front left wheel. Goes away when you turn right, gets worse when you turn left. Suspected wheel bearings.
- Torque converter clutch works sporadically. (Suspected TCC switch in transmission.)
- Broken throttle cable thread. (I leant on it d'oh!)

Bought the car at 172k all pre-existing except the throttle cable.

Michelson4301

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Super6 Utility 5 speed
I'd say everything is common these days with 12-14years under their belt rubber components, mild steel and plastic all of it begins to degrade. They are getting old but these models still have a place in my heart.

simmons001

I like VS Caprices
Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Grange/VS Caprice S1 5.0
1996 S1 VS Caprice V8 155,000, bought at 90ish from memory

Amazing cars, this is my second S1 VS Caprice (Sold the first, bought a VY SS Ute new. MISTAKE! Sold that, bought second VS Caprice).

So breakages..Normal stuff really

Self Leveling Rear Suspension. New normal shocks & springs from WA Suspension. 100k
(Shock sprung a leak, pump whirred away overnight trying to pump up a deflating shock and burnt itself out. Impossible to get replacement shocks for this, pumps yes, but shocks are simply not available... i looked and looked and looked. I liked my lifty boot)
Boot gas struts (not needed, but picked them up cheap) 100k
Hall Sensor (Unobtainable separately, new dizzy) 120k
Alternator - 145k
Radiator - 150k
Starter Motor - 150k
Front discs & pads - 150 k
Water Pump - 150k
(Was an expensive week)

Odds & sods
Drivers side seat badly worn & one electric motor to adjust the seat doesn't work (luckily the least important one). Normal breakage of the seat side trims the buttons sit in - Still to replace, recover etc. - All other seats/leather still in good condition.
New aerial mast.
New Caprice bonnet sticky up badge. (why are these so bloody rare?)
Steering wheel leather recover.
Yes, air bag cover slightly warped.
New drivers door seal needed (Might hit rare spares tomorrow for that)
Botannica metallic faded & cracked on roof & boot (common and off to friend who is a panelbeater at a Holden dealer for a respray, once we have some time)

Air filters, oil filters, coolant (Always GM OEM stuff for this), oil, plugs, first set of new leads going in tomorrow? and one set of rear brake pads from memory. Left me on the side of the road twice (starter and hall sensor) both times a 5 minute walk from home. Cant complain about any of it. Ultra reliable, super comfortable, all of the whiz bangery still works perfectly, quiet and with the factory HSV 185kW option a bit livelier than my prev standard V8

VS Caprice V8 (S1,S2,S3) best damn car Holden ever made i say. I'd buy another one tomorrow :)

Last edited:

Ron41

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commadore V6
This one has done 207,000 klm, had it for 12 years.
fan resistor replacement [wreckers $15 ] apparantly common problem 1st and 2nd speed goes on heater switch, holden has a revised version.
Sweaky groney noise in steering, easy fix with grease under gromet on steering colum.
Temp sender replacement.
slight leak in rear main oil seal, it has leaked for the 12 years i have had it, not worried about it yet.
That is about it, it has been a great reliable car so far [ crossed fingers ]