Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs engine bay question

crowley3220

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs statesman
hey guys new to this forum so this may be in the completely wrong section but, i have a real big problem, i swerved a kangaroo tonight and side swiped some fences, its mostly exterior damage, there is no fluid leaking anywhere all lights pumps and what not work perfectly, my question is, after the crash i looked under the front end of the car and seen a spherical object hanging down on the front left corner under the engine bay, it was the 2 thirds the size of a soccer ball and has a pencil thick tube attached that it was hanging from, i was unable to pull it from under the car so and decided to drive somewhere to inspect the car and it wasnt there upon arrival, i need to know if it was part of the car that needs replacing or if it was part of the fence or something else misc already on the ground...

vs statesman to be clear. medium sized spherical object with a tube hanging off the underside of the front left side of the front end (left side relative to sitting in the driving seat NOT from looking at it from the front)

crowley3220

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs statesman
Checked it again in the light this morning there is no liquid under the car BUT, yesterday before the crash i filled up the window wiper fluid to the max and now i cant even see water in the pipe, does anyone know if there is a spherical component on a vs window washer pump or somewhere related ? :/

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
That is the vacuum ball, it is there to hold vacuum so your vent controls work under all driving conditions. Sometimes your engine has zero vacuum, and if your vents were connected directly to an engine vacuum source, they would switch every time the vacuum changed. That ball is to keep the vacuum in the vent control system consistent so the vents stay where they are set.

The washer system is separate, all it should have is a wiring harness to the pump and hoses to the washers jets.

crowley3220

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs statesman
so i read another post going into detail about the vaccum ball, apparently the aircon still works just changes to the default setting when accellerating heavy (eg goes from face to feet and windshield) i ebayed it, its about 33 dollars, since it was probably torn off whatever it was connected to, how will this affect the running performance of the car, will it loose pressure anywhere or will anything start to get damaged with prolonged use without it connected or removed improperly

ALSO thanks a lot for your post it was very informative :)

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
If the hose is still connected to it, everything should still work, unless the ball is actually broken and has a hole in it. But usually, it just pops off the screw that is holding it. Look at the ball and see if it still has the mounting bracket in one piece, the screw hole is meant to have a slot in it so it slips over the screw. If it is intact, just put it back, you will see where it attaches to if you look up under the guard.

crowley3220

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs statesman
No the ball has detached and lost, it's obviously been ripped off either at the tube or completely to what it connects to

Where does the vacuum usually connect to so I can check?

Also what will happen if the engine runs with the tube open running to nothing (because it's obviously been ripped off) as I drove the car home cause either it's been ripped off right where ever it connects to or the tube bas snapped in the middle half went with the ball half still on the car

Will it do any damage with the pipe open not connected to the vacuum

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
It connects to a vacuum port next to the throttle body. It will be sucking all the time unless you block it off. Put a screw or a bolt into the end of that hose until you fit a new ball.

crowley3220

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs statesman
yeah i found it earlier today, it is constantly sucking, thanks for the help mate, ill block it off until i replace it