Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs esteem 25000ks on the clock at grays auction

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
Skylarking what did you think of grays? When I was last there most of the cars they had were pos that had all ready had the guts driven out of them didn't find anything worth bidding on either most of their stock to auction is **** or they sell the good cars to someone else before the public get to look or was I just unlucky the few cars i went to see looked ok in the pictures.
went to the dandenong site a couple of times .

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Looking at the Bidding History tab on that one, I'd have a guess that the "winning" bidder intended to bid $17,509, $17,950 or similar but fat thumbs joined the chat.
That would explain it.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
But how can anyone explain going from 17K straight to 179K as 179 would just be a proxy figure accidentally entered and the selling price should've been the next increment above $17,009 which is the underbidders top figure ???

Am I missing something here ?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
But how can anyone explain going from 17K straight to 179K as 179 would just be a proxy figure accidentally entered and the selling price should've been the next increment above $17,009 which is the underbidders top figure ???

Am I missing something here ?
A bid is not a proxy figure... it’s a bid... and it’s (normally) binding...

Slamming a large bid is one tactic to scare off others from slowly increases their bids, and no auction sites would put anything in place to inhibit such from occurring.

And just like a fat fingered trade on the stock market (many of which stand), a fat fingered bid could be costly...

That‘s why it’s important to check and recheck any bid price you type BEFORE pressing that bid button...

Id really like to know what occurred and whether the wining bidder 6pm bid was able to reversed or whether he spent a frantic 2 hours trying to have his error reversed :eek:

As is, in the current auction, the winning bid by B.P - Wingfield SA sitting at $22k with 4 days to go was also the second highest bidder. In that failed auction, B.P. was at $17,009. with the next lowest bidder made the day before at $16k.... if that was me, I’d be pissed off....

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Skylarking what did you think of grays? When I was last there most of the cars they had were pos that had all ready had the guts driven out of them didn't find anything worth bidding on either most of their stock to auction is **** or they sell the good cars to someone else before the public get to look or was I just unlucky the few cars i went to see looked ok in the pictures.
went to the dandenong site a couple of times .
Whether it’s an online auction or a real live auction, I’m always sceptical on many bids... it’s just too easy for “vendor” or fake bids to be made and people to be pushed to their limits...

I always prefer private sales but eBay and the like has changed peoples expectations of what they should achieve with the old POS the6 are trying to sell...

$@€&€? computer, it’s rise of the machines :eek:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Shill bidding as it is known as is highly illegal on any auction platform and can carry hefty fines.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Shill bidding as it is known as is highly illegal on any auction platform and can carry hefty fines.
In a real physical auction, the location of the auctioneer can’t be denied, so they must follow all laws where the auction actually occurs. Some states allow vendor bids, others limit them and some may even disallow them. Things can get confusing. If one auctions a Brisbane property from a building in NSW where the auctioneer and many buyers are located... who’s laws do you follow, NSW or QLD?

With internet auctions, where the business can be structured as an international conglomerate with subsidiaries all over the place, and servers outside the jurisdiction, it may be even worse trying to sort out legalities...

Like the USA, we have the best legal system money can buy... poor people need not apply...

Jasminka

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cerise Caprice
Other than the front and rear bumpers, what exactly makes a VS a plastic car? I bet you're the type to also call the 308 'plastic', yeah, which is even more ridiculous.
Yes, I would rather find a good VS than a "Chrome-bumper car" with carby, drum brakes, vinyl seats et cetera

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes, I would rather find a good VS than a "Chrome-bumper car" with carby, drum brakes, vinyl seats et cetera
You could always upgrade the drive line, suspension and brakes on an old chrome bumper car and it would still look retro and cool.

Can’t say the same if you bought a later model ”plastic car” with the requisite EFI, disc brakes, leather seats, etc and added chrome bumpers trying to get that old school retro look :p

But then again retro is so subjective and changes across the ages :rolleyes: