Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs fusable link wiring

baroofy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs equip
i have just replaced the wire from the alt. to the battery and feed to the fusable links. the insulation at the fusable link was melted. i had to replace the fusable link holder as well as all the plastic around the main feed was burnt and melted. is this a common problem?
i put a tong meter on the feed to the fusable link. it was drawing 15amps with just the engine running. with everything turned on (high beam head lights, demister, engine cooling fan,air con fan etc) i was getting 80 amps. is this normal, as the bolt in fuse is only rated to 60 amps.
thanks

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Unless someone else replies I'll check my setup tomorrow when it's light and post what I find - but I thought there were 2 fusible links (inline). The wiring diagram suggest one brown inline fusible link plus an unfused wire running to the engine bay fusebox containing the fusible links. When you measured the amp draw did you check to see if the connections were hot?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Checked mine today and found only the one fusible link next to the fuse box...however I also found a separate feed to the relay block (heavy red cables) but due to the way they are encased I couldn't figure out where they ran.