Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS rough on start up, then fine

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
PSYKO needs a tune. the 95 VS will most likely have a memcal fitted that has known starting issues (unless the nice holden dealer replaced it under warrranty...not bloody likely though).

talk to delcowizzid (i don't do ecotec tunes, yet) he'll sort you out. in the mean time, pull off the passanger kick panel, unscrew the ECU and pull it out a little (leave wiring loom attached) remove 2 screws holding the top cover on the ecu and write down the 8leter/digit code on the silver sticker thats on the memcal (blue thingy majig :D ). then put it all back and post that code here. we can then see if you are in need of tune:thumbsup:

edit: i'll help you out with this one. You only need to pull the kickpanel off and tell me the 4 leter code thats printed on the sticker will start with a B??? i.e. BWPJ. then PM me and we'll sort you out a tune

Last edited:

rocco555

Reaction score
Members Ride
E46 M3
if its what you described in your first post (cbf reading the rest of these posts) then the above will only make your car run better because your pockets will be lighter.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
if its what you described in your first post (cbf reading the rest of these posts) then the above will only make your car run better because your pockets will be lighter.

care to explain that statement.

rocco555

Reaction score
Members Ride
E46 M3
care to explain that statement.

sure,

if his problem is what he explained in his first post... car turns over/starts perfectly, sputters on an initial rev, then runs/revs perfectly after that... then a tune aint gonna solve his problem

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
and yet Holden dis-continued a few early tune for the VS because of cold start issues. Hmmm

most of the tunes avail, aftermarket are based on tunes from Holden that already have all the factory fixes for these issues. so even if it doen't fix the cold start hesitation then it will still run better then the stock tune anyways.

Last edited:

rocco555

Reaction score
Members Ride
E46 M3
well psyko starts his post saying "hey guys, new problem"... so you'd assume his car was running fine when he got it yeah.

so unless he's had some extensive modifications done (which he hasn't) or someone has taken his chip out and swapped it over with one of these dodgy ones your referring to (which i doubt), then his problem doesn't lie in his tune.

no offence meant by my comment, just feel sorry for this guy who has blown pay packet after pay packet trying to fix this problem listening to ppl try diagnose his problem over the internet.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
he has posted about his problem, time and time again, so there is/was a problem. its a bit hard to pop over to NZ or him bring his car over here and help him diagnose the problem.. what else do you suggest?

splutters on cold, yes it developed coz at the time of posting winter was just round the corner.

rocco555

Reaction score
Members Ride
E46 M3
nothing wrong with helping the guy out, thats what these forums are all about...

but people suggesting what he "needs" without thinking it through first doesnt help anyone

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
My series 1 VS does the same thing. On cold mornings i back out the driveway then put it in D and drive up the road. Everytime i do this it hesitates as i put the throttle down but once i back off and slowly go again its fine, and perfect the rest of the day. Its just such a bugger to take the memcal out to check my number.

JA2Z

Reaction score
Website
www.studiomarban.com
Members Ride
VT 5L, WH LS1 Stato (Daily), TDCi Focus, Probe V6
It may be coincidence but my car was doing the same both before and after i upgraded my memcal.

It seemed to improve and hardly ever does it now that i've done:

- Fuel filter
- Plugs
- Leads
- Tightened & cleaned Battery terminals
- 1 Tank fuel with Injector Cleaner

I can't help but still look towards the injectors (quite possibly leaking), the last couple of times it's started rough i've jumped out and looked at the back of the exhaust. It looks like the times when it starts rough a bit of black smoke comes out, then as soon as the car corrects itself and runs smooth(usually idling high for about 10sec then back to normal idle) no black smoke.

Correct me if i'm wrong but that seems to be that an injector(s) are leaking, hence the rich mix on startup.

PSYKO PHOENIX does your car do the smoke thing too?