Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS rough on start up, then fine

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
nothing wrong with helping the guy out, thats what these forums are all about...

but people suggesting what he "needs" without thinking it through first doesnt help anyone

most of the things suggested to PSYKO have been the common problems associated with this model and therefof the most common "fixes" for those symptoms, so the places where you would look first. unfortunatly for someone who isn't that familiar with cars/mechanics it's not a simple task to do these checks. but he's certainly not shy to try

if you actually read through the entire thread, you'll note that he's not the only one with these issues. but as you will read, different things have fixed different cars, so similar symptoms can be caused by a range of problems. i too have a VS ecotec with issues, although i've just been to lazzy to actually fix whats wrong with it. it's just costing me more in gas money.

i certainly won't "sell" him a tune if he doesn't want it. if he does have a early tune with known cold hesitation issues i can get him a standard tune with the factory fixes for very little. if he's keen i can get him a better tune if he so wishes. really it's one thing we haven't looked at yet.

My series 1 VS does the same thing. On cold mornings i back out the driveway then put it in D and drive up the road. Everytime i do this it hesitates as i put the throttle down but once i back off and slowly go again its fine, and perfect the rest of the day. Its just such a bugger to take the memcal out to check my number.

no need, just pull of the kick panel off and the memcal code will be printed on the side of the PCM.

PSYKO PHOENIX

AHHHH brain fart
Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS Commodore v6 ecotec
hey guys firstly let me rthank you for all your help this far, im still having the problem, it all started as a problem that only occurd when i reved her when she was cold and it got worse and worse and so on, as immortality said, im not the most fammiliar with cars, im not a mechanic, but im damn keen to learn and will try practly anything so far ive done prety much every thing throughout this thread, i have no idea whats causing it or what to fix, however i do know that im broke for the next month and still want to get this all sorted, with regards to the tune, im keen as beans to get a new tune, but i want to put the other mods on first (new TB, cai and extractors) then the tune can be used to max the performance etc (i think/hope!!)

it still does it obviously so the process goes on and im sure with all your help well be able to get to the bottom of it

your all legends thanks for your help and patience, sorry if im a bit thick at times hahaha

so where to next??

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
hi mate, pull the kick panel off and tell me the memcal code it's printed on the sticker on the outside of the ecu. shouldbe for letters. starts with a B most likely. that way atleast we will be able to sort out that if it's a issue.

PSYKO PHOENIX

AHHHH brain fart
Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS Commodore v6 ecotec
sweet will do, ill let you know

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
My series 1 VS does the same thing. On cold mornings i back out the driveway then put it in D and drive up the road. Everytime i do this it hesitates as i put the throttle down but once i back off and slowly go again its fine, and perfect the rest of the day. Its just such a bugger to take the memcal out to check my number.

i had the exact same problem no one had any answers, but it was only until i earthed my o2's at the ecu and changed over my o2 sensors did it stop happening. (i had replaced my o2 sensors several times before the o2 earth)

i didnt change the o2 sensors first as the earthing only took a bit of time to fix. i've written up a how-to :)

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
i just replaced the injectors in mine 2 days ago, starts first crank now. not sure on fuel economy yet but it's already looking better. throttle response is better also. i did however fit a MACE runner spacer/insulator

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
i just replaced the injectors in mine 2 days ago, starts first crank now. not sure on fuel economy yet but it's already looking better. throttle response is better also. i did however fit a MACE runner spacer/insulator

That's the same as i did in mine, mine was slugish when cold, just took my injectors into a injector place and got a swap for rebuilt ones that come with flow charts and everything.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
what injectors you put in man?

got em off ebay. injectro or something. rebuilt, flow tested and matched set so all the injectors flow the same.

i still have a slight miss for a first few seconds on a cold start. i put this down to a leaking intake gasket that i'll hopefully have fixed next week.

may throw some new O2 sensors at it also

edit: should have said reconditioned standard injectors

Last edited: