Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS s2 slowly losing coolant

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Check under the waterpump for a trace of dried coolant...maybe look from underneath and it will look like a chalky deposit - when the pump fails it usually is difficult to detect until it fails totally. Your mileage is about right for the life of a Ecotec waterpump.

DJ Ice

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 VE Calais V
I had similar problems after replacing a leaking radiator....turned out to be a corroded heater tap. They are cheap but a bitch to fit :bang:

Raging Bull

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S Pack L67
Had this problem on my old Ecotec, valley gasket covers were leaking, a bit of a job cost about $300 to fix. Never had to top up anymore coolant after that.

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
While the cars running with the radiator cap off (while cold), check to see if the water is bubbling in the neck of the radiator, this could indicate you might have a cracked head.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
i've replaced the radiator cap and i've had the car running without the radiator cap watching for bubles to indicate a blown headgasket or cracked head but nothing there. i'll have a good look at the water pump this weekend. might have to get it tested properly

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
immortality

Have you checked the welsh plugs, they maybe leaking.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
immortality said:
i've replaced the radiator cap and i've had the car running without the radiator cap watching for bubles to indicate a blown headgasket or cracked head but nothing there. i'll have a good look at the water pump this weekend. might have to get it tested properly

Mine failed at 100K and was hard to detect except for that trace of dried coolant under the waterpump pulley - after a while it started to drop onto the front bit of the sump.

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
Too many different questions, I think one was a welch plug leaking ?

Hytes

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VS Berlina S1
Hako, this is exactly what is happening to mine at the moment, chalky deposits on top right hand side of sump (looking front on). Tried to see exactly where this is coming from. Have to top radiator up every 3 or so days, would this definately be a water pump problem? Is the water pump hard to replace?

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
i had this problem fixed in my vs last week.
they told me it was leaking from the radiator cap and since they replaced it i havent had any problems