Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS to VT Brake Upgrade Questions

shaggerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY2 SV8 A4
G'day all.

In laying the groundwork for dropping an L67 into my VS, I am upgrading brakes, suspension, etc.

Need to know what I would need to do to upgrade to VT brakes.

* Are VT and VS hubs the same? i.e. could I whack VT rotors onto VS wheel hubs? If not, are there adapters available?

* Can I use existing brake lines and add VT twin spot calipers by just swapping them over?

* Is the VT master cylinder any larger than the VS one?

What I'd like to do is buy VT rotors and calipers and just swap them over. If I need any other hardware than just those things, please let me know.

Thanks!

EDIT: typo

VSSII

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5.0 Ute
Adaptor kits are available everywhere on eBay for about $350.00 including rotors and braided lines. This will get you some VT rotors fitted to your stub axles. You will notice a slightly longer pedal travel after the conversion.

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F
my old man had this done on his when the vt first came out, it simple
the disc fit straght on, no adaptors needed
use the brake lines that come of the vt calipers and just connect it to the pipes (aluminum)
we used the stock (vs) booster/MC) and it was fine

these brakes have now been removed and are in my posetion for my vl as we had a noise going thought the car, we thought it was the brakes so removed them and found it to be a suspension issue so now im the prowd owner of 298mm disc and twin spots:w00t: but i need hub adapotrs:bang:

shaggerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY2 SV8 A4
Just checking out DBA's catalogue and I see that their rotors for VS are 289mm across where their rotors for VT are 296. Now that seems like a tiny difference to me and I doubt it would make for much improvement in braking performance.

Would a better investment be a pair of slotted VS rotors?

Also I am of the understanding that VS rotors are only 1 spot where VT are twin spot... If that is correct, would that be a big enough difference to justify buying VT calipers and lines on top of new VT rotors?

geardys

GEARDY
Reaction score
Members Ride
95 v8 ute 5sp
you are correct with the Just VS rotor's being 289mm and the VT are 296mm. this will give u little performance improvements.
the biggest gain from the VT upgrades is the twin piston calipers.
this will give you more clamping pressure on the rotor and thus more friction and better stopping power.

the best investment for money would be the VT upgrade with slotted rotors!! and maybe even a 1 inch marster cyclinder for safety. add this with really good brake pads and you should have a very good but cheap brakesystem.

also try slotted rotors and good pads on the rear as well.

cheers

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
I currently have the VT twin spot upgrade on my car and it aint that much different. I would go the VR/VS GTS ones (330mm disc) or talk to Tony from the JC shop as he now has the brackets to fit the VT twin spots on a 330mm disc.
Yes you need either the shims, or the DBA rotors to suit (they make a 296mm rotor in the VS offset to suit a VT Caliper).
I would talk to Tony mate. I got the VT calipers, slotted rotors (he painted em for me aswell), shims and braided lines delivered for $300 (the price has gone up tho).
With regards to the booster and M/C.......the booster is similar to the VT, and the M/C is the same bar the differnt lines.
AirStrike :air:

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F
shaggerz said:
Just checking out DBA's catalogue and I see that their rotors for VS are 289mm across where their rotors for VT are 296. Now that seems like a tiny difference to me and I doubt it would make for much improvement in braking performance.

the bigger it is the bigger the surface area is, which helps with cooling and stoping brake fade, altoh its only 7mm diffrance the area is more so brake cooling is higher giving beta performace,
if u got the money for bigger then do it, as it is the most important aspect of a car. if ur in no hurry then save for the bigger 1s or if u need then asap and want it realtivly cheaper then get the vt 296mm set up

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
I recently looked into a similar conversion for my VP. Thankyou to those who helped on this forum.

I will offer the following:

The discs (and hubs) on VT- and VR/VS differ in the size of the centre hole (spigot). I believe that this may be the difference between the 296mm DBA discs intended for use on VR/VS and standard VT-, rather than offset.

VT- discs are also thicker than VR/VS contributing to greater mass and heat storage capacity.

The twin piston design of VT- allows smaller pistons and means that the average radius of the pad to hub centre is greater than the single piston caliper, increasing the leverage on the disc. This is in addition to the greater disc dia.

That pedal travel increases with the VT- conversion suggests that the total piston area is greater with the VT- calipers. (The singles are 54mm dia., perhaps someone else can provide the dia. of the VT- pistons.)

Both the greater piston area and increased leverage will place more braking effort onto the front wheels. Assuming that the standard (VR/VS) brakes are well balanced, I don't think this is a good thing, at least without a rear upgrade as well.

I like that VT- will fit inside 15" wheels. Larger brakes may (will) not.

If I had a VR/VS with IRS I would look into a complete swap of VT- brakes, including M/C despite the difference in wheelbase and probably weight distribution between the two models.

If legality is important, a complete factory (HSV) system will probably not require an engineer's report, even though a V6 weighs less than a V8 and carries that weight more rearward. An adapted system will. Aftermarket kits may be a grey area in this regard - some claim ADR approval.

rally_toy

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 vr ss
Does anyone know if the bracket for fitting the VT caliper to the VR/VS with the 330 mm discs is still available or made by anyone?
All the places i have found either no longer make them or now use the VE caliper
I want to stick with the VT caliper as i have them and the good pads and braided lines already
Thanks