Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS ute randomly splutters and dies

beck.jmg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Commodore Ute
G'day,

I have a '98 series 3 v6 vs ute. ive had it for about 3 months and from what the books say it has been well looked after. it has approx 172 000 ks on the clock and is in bloody good nick. there is one problem though that i was wondering if anyone has ever heard of anything similar happening or if its a common problem. in extreme heat, can be any time (idling at the lights or driving) it will splutter and die kind of as if its not getting any petrol but then will turn over and start straight away..... the temp guage never goes above the first little line and no warning lights come on. could it be the petrol pump not handling the heat?

i would greatly appreciate your input.....cheers

westbad

Reaction score
Members Ride
i would prob say at a guess its the ignition module, they dont seem to handle the heat to good.

But could also be a fueling or breathing problem, its hard to say with out seeing it for your self.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
It sounds like the Crank Angle Sensor(CAS).It can cause exactly what you have described.Id be replacing that.Use a genuine holden one if you can.Also check your fuel filter,Its cheap and easy to replace.

westbad

Reaction score
Members Ride
cas would not normally start up straight away again, unless you pour water over it.??

Last edited:

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
The CAS can cause all different problems.Sometimes it will throw up an error code ,sometimes it dont.Sometimes they will start straight away again,sometimes they wont.Sometimes heat will effect them(thats why you pour the water on em),sometimes it doesnt.They usually all have similar symptoms though.Engine stopping for no reason etc.