Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS v6 owners check this out

Hobbes

Hobbes
Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS Acclaim
Pity i bought a new reg for the alternator before i took it off,

i had the same thing go on mine, vs sII

only I found the lug was not making electrical contact because of the broken wire strands meant it wasnt charging, thus i thought my alternator needed a new reg, $80..+a new reg..:hmmm: later i was crimping on a new lug and using some heatproof tape+split loom

bingo! 14.2V Charging like a bull again

Psmithavsupplies

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 3.8ltr exec A/T
YEP!!! been there fixed that, same as the rest but I sorted mine out when replacing the alternator.
for any one having troubles with flat Batt and no idea why (not the nomal stuff) I'll happily say an aged alternator doesnt keep up with a 1000wrms (tru rms) stereo once u add a couple of high power accessories, ie demister and hungry lights

electraglide

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Executive S2
Just had a new alternator fitted yesterday due to the same issue. Was driving and dash lights went dim... managed to get all the way to work but after stopping the car she wouldn't start. $140 servo battery got me home and to the mechanic. New alternator has soldered connections instead of lugs...

W8INL9

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Berlina Series 2
so i just fixed the wire at the back of the alternator, trimmed it, new ring terminal on it and now my car wont start ??

any ideas ??

DoinItMyself

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Series II manual wagon
Just recently I have had problems with my Vs Wagon. For over a year now the ignition would not start if left in the rain nor overly hot sunny days. I would have to wait 45 min leway to restart and whilst on the tonne down the highway at times the engine would die however lights on the dash are still on and engine warning lamp appears....Im soo sick of this prob

Recently I have had a fuel blockage thought I'd blow it out and replace bak on, which didnt work because i needed to get a whole new one due to some jerk putting the fuel filter on back to front. I have heard a few commys with similar probs as mine and once its been put on correctly the cars have been running like a dream -- well naturally hay!!

However now you mention this about the alternator Im going out bak right now and will take a look as I have had a slippery battery terminal as well and do not need any other probs to occur...

CHEERS!!!! Any other helpful info for this please let me know, Im a chick with kids and a fulltime job and cant afford to get mechanic to look at, all help is appreciated....

VS_Adelaide

--> Newbie Alert
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2 V6
Thank you, for the detailed info. Will try & find someone ( or mechanic ) to check this for me! Found this forum & your post Googling for answer to car suddenly conking out when driving.
Cheers & glad I found this great forum.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Checked mine yesterday all good just need a bit of a clean.
One question I put a new 100amp. alternator on the old one was 90amp. can`t see any problems???

JAAV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR wagon, 5 ltr ski boat, VS ute, VT calais.
Another problem that shows up on high mileage Dunnydoors is the earth return lead that goes from the battery to body. seen a few cooked and the mounting lugs loose (bolts). Mine got so hot that it melted the coolant expansion tank hose.

Still has a charging problem that cant find. Low charge at idle and high RPM with AC and lights on but OK at mid range. New wiring and 100A alt no change. been like that since Ive had it.