Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS V6 Peformance upgrades for p plater

Joey2016

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS v6
Hi all,
I was hoping that you would be able to help me choose what to do on my vs v6 commodore to increase performance but keep within p plate limits.
I was thinking extractors with hi flow cats, injectors and k&n filters.
any help would be hugely appreciated :)

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Hey mate , welcome in , I'm not at all sure of P Plate rules in Australia , but might I suggest you have a gander at Mace Engineering's website , they are sponsors here as well , they offer a range of V6 performance mods , what you have suggested would be a good start , but in reality don't expect to get huge gains , it'll make your car more fun to drive .

good luck . :beer chug:

Joey2016

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS v6
hey, thankyou!
alright ill go check them out!
I don't want to change to much as I don't want un wanted attention, so I might stick to lowering it and interior stuff!

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Sticky at the top of this section - https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/buick-ecotec-v6-performance-upgrades.64700

Injectors are a waste of time as the stock ones are not a restriction on an stockish N/A setup, not to mention you would need a tune adjustment for them.

There's nothing wrong with the paper panel filters, gains from a K&N filter will be marginal at the most. In the same way, a bigger throttle body is not needed as the stock one is not a restriction, and again will require a tune adjustment to compensate for the extra flow of air for the same amount throttle.

If you want bang for buck, roller rockers and an exhaust will probably do the trick (not sure if it meets your P-plate requirements), but apart from that there's not a whole lot of potential without investing a lot of money.

junglecook

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs 5L
What state are you in, in nsw your fine upto 130 kW per ton

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Diff, trans and remote tune is probably the best for a P-Plater. You'll get a noticeable increase in pickup without any more ponies, and a shift kit/vette servo + chip will get the trans out of factory retard mode.

If you keep the car for a while you'll claw most of the dollars back in fuel savings. I saved $1k in 12 months back in my N/A days. I've since reversed those savings and then some, lol.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
You're not allowed to modify anything. Cold air intake and catback you should get away with but they won't really give you any power at all.

They go pretty damn well anyway, especially for a first car.

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
You say you don't want attention then state you will lower it.

That will attract attention along with the P plate.

Just drive a stock car and cut your teeth until you are a fully licensed driver.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
remote tune is probably the best for a P-Plater.

Yes, I forgot to mention a mail order tune.

Hit up The1 or Delcowizzid for a mail order tune, excellent bang for buck. Don't bother with ebay chips, ebay tunes are generally regarded as garbage.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Hi all,
I was hoping that you would be able to help me choose what to do on my vs v6 commodore to increase performance but keep within p plate limits.
I was thinking extractors with hi flow cats, injectors and k&n filters.
any help would be hugely appreciated :)

Ok why would you be wanting any of the above? About the only thing you can legally do whilst you have P plates is the diff ratio. There is a thread on this subject we prepared earlier here -> http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...lems/237974-p-plater-section.html#post2684661