Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs v6 project car.

W8N4YA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute
I currently have vs ute which currently can do 0-100 in 6.7 seconds. My current mods are extractors to a 3" high flow cat with 2.5"piping and a performance chip.

I'm wanting to hit the 6 or under seconds to 100. Money isn't an issue.

I'm very impressed with the feedback mace engineering has been getting.

I'm looking at purchasing the high ratio rockers, stage 2 crow cam, 12mm plenum spacer, 12mm manifold spacer, 70mm bored out throttle body, either growler cold air induction kit or maces cold air induction kit.

Now it says I shouldn't use an aftermarket cam with high ratio rockers but on the mace engineering website they quote that the crow cam can dual up with the rockers for some unexplained reason. Can someone elaborate in this for me as to why or why not I can/can't use both together

Lastly will I hit 6 seconds after these mods are installed with a tune aswell

MACE

Reaction score
I currently have vs ute which currently can do 0-100 in 6.7 seconds. My current mods are extractors to a 3" high flow cat with 2.5"piping and a performance chip.

I'm very impressed with the feedback mace engineering has been getting.

I'm looking at purchasing the high ratio rockers, stage 2 crow cam, 12mm plenum spacer, 12mm manifold spacer, 70mm bored out throttle body, either growler cold air induction kit or maces cold air induction kit.

Now it says I shouldn't use an aftermarket cam with high ratio rockers but on the mace engineering website they quote that the crow cam can dual up with the rockers for some unexplained reason. Can someone elaborate in this for me as to why or why not I can/can't use both together

Lastly will I hit 6 seconds after these mods are installed with a tune aswell
Hi W8N4YA,

Thanks for your enquiry

"I currently have vs ute which currently can do 0-100 in 6.7 seconds. My current mods are extractors to a 3" high flow cat with 2.5"piping and a performance chip."
Nice time :)

"I'm wanting to hit the 6 or under seconds to 100. Money isn't an issue."
That shouldn't be an issue. However to narrow down available options, what is your budget approximately and how much of the work are you willing to do yourself?

"I'm very impressed with the feedback mace engineering has been getting."
We aim to do the best we can to treat others the way we like to be treated.

"I'm looking at purchasing the high ratio rockers, stage 2 crow cam, 12mm plenum spacer, 12mm manifold spacer, 70mm bored out throttle body, either growler cold air induction kit or maces cold air induction kit.

Now it says I shouldn't use an aftermarket cam with high ratio rockers but on the mace engineering website they quote that the crow cam can dual up with the rockers for some unexplained reason. Can someone elaborate in this for me as to why or why not I can/can't use both together"

Generally we would not recommend running higher ratio rockers in conjunction with a larger cam unless advised by a professional, or the cam has been specifically designed to suit higher ratio rockers such as the cam given in the link below.

CROW CAMS TO SUIT V6'S WITH HIGHER RATIO ROCKERS - Mace Engineering Group

The main reason for this is that engine damage may result due to excessive amounts of lift.

This aside, it would be more cost effective to go a larger cam which would be able to give you the lift required without the need for upgrading rockers. An example of cams which would offer this are our range of COMP cams as shown in the link below

COMP Cams to suit V6 Ecotec - Mace Engineering Group

"Lastly will I hit 6 seconds after these mods are installed with a tune aswell"
With the right combination it would be possible.

If you have any more questions please don't hesitate to ask

Kindest Regards,
Steve

Last edited:

W8N4YA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute
Thank you for the quick response!

Well I would install all but the cam. How much would it cost to have the cam installed. Would it be better to just go the ultra high ratio rockers instead or a cam would be more suited? If you think it's better with the cam ill just spend the money which I would have on the rockers to install the cam. What else would you recommend.

If I gave you my budget of $2500 which is for parts. Could you give me a setup for that price which you guys offer.

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
Note for the unwary - hi lift cams with high profile lobes can sometimes have clearance issues in the cam bearing races on a ecotec.

Best way to get hi lift is to use a smaller lobe cam and high ratio rockers. Make sure the cam and rockers are designed to work together though or you will bend things - like valve stems, piston crowns etc

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I've not heard that? It would be very bad form for a cam grinder to develop a camshaft where the lobes are bigger than the cam bearing journals (I'd go so far as to suggest that it wouldn't happen).

Certainly not an issue with any of the cams that MACE supply :)

Power is only part of the solution to getting a quick time, you can also look at the transmission and (diff) gearing.

Cheers

W8N4YA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute
Thanks guys. I just did a dyno run today and off my little mods ATM I'm hitting 125 rwkw.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
What transmission? suspension/wheels?

W8N4YA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute
I have a t5 manual box, for suspension I have sl king springs with a 7/10 shock absorber (I say this because I can't remember the brand of the shocks). Bola thane bushers throughout the entire car with thickened bars of some sort of which I can't remember either. 17" roh rims with 235/40 wrapped around them.

MACE

Reaction score
"Thank you for the quick response!"
No problem, happy to help.

"Well I would install all but the cam."

No problem.

"How much would it cost to have the cam installed."
Depending on the workshop used prices may vary. Depending on your location we may be able to recommend you someone.

"Would it be better to just go the ultra high ratio rockers instead or a cam would be more suited?"

We would recommend a set of our comp cam and chip packages over a set of ultra high ratio rockers as previously mentioned. However this ultimately depends on your budget and build requirements.

"If you think it's better with the cam ill just spend the money which I would have on the rockers to install the cam."

This would work out fine.

"What else would you recommend. If I gave you my budget of $2500 which is for parts. Could you give me a setup for that price which you guys offer"

To give you a bit of an idea please refer to the following links:

COMP Cams to suit V6 Ecotec
COMP Cams to suit V6 Ecotec - Mace Engineering Group

COMP V6 Ecotec Cam and Chip Packages
COMP V6 Ecotec Cam and Chip Packages - Mace Engineering Group
Knowledgebase -

If you have any other questions please do not hesitate to ask

Kindest Regards,

Bill