Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS V8 Airbox in a V6

Nathaniel_P

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS Commodore S
Hey guys, looking at getting a VS V8 airbox with the OTR pipe in my S pack, wondering if the airbox of the v8 is the same as the v6, hoping to just take the bottom half of the box with the pipe and put it straight in, but i gotta make sure it's the same size before i go and buy one, cheers :)

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Pretty sure the bottom is the same but the OTR is a waste of time. Well known to suffer heat soak issue. Cut a bigger hole in the front of the box where the snorkel goes. Done.

Nathaniel_P

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS Commodore S
Cheers mate, What's heat soak? And would i get yellowed for cutting the hole?

wraith

Reaction score
Members Ride
They wouldn't even know it's done. Think about where the OTR sits. Right on the hot radiator. Heat will get into the intake.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Just make it neat, if they pick it up say it was enlarged for a cai but that was crap so you removed it, don't make it taller but cut it wider along the front retaining the same height.

AlexVSII

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 Holden VS Commodore S, 3.8 n/a
Well known to suffer heat soak issue.

I know it's pretty well accepted that both the V8 and L67 CAIs suffer from heat soak when standing idle for long periods of time, and it can be felt that they get very hot if you're running the car at slow speeds for a long time, as might be encountered in stop/start traffic, but has anyone done any data logging of the what the heat soak is like when moving along at highway speeds? I would hazard a guess that the improved flow of air caused by the ram air effect into the front of the car, both into the intake itself and across the radiator would probably improve the heat soak issue, but how much it if it does happen at all I can't comment on. I had a L67 intake lying around that I put on, it didn't make the car faster, but it didn't make the car slower either, so while I wouldn't go out of my way to buy one, if you have one lying around or can obtain one cheaply, might as well put it on, can always take it off later if you want.

It's also worth noting that cold air isn't universally "good" and hot air isn't universally "bad". Hot air intakes are actually a thing that exist, warmer air can improve fuel economy and colder air can decrease fuel economy. Both have their own properties and affect the operation of an engine in different ways, with different side effects.

wraith

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes it's been tested if you search. Also the way I listed is easy to do with basic tools. No need to buy anything special.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I tested and logged the data. It's all in a thread somewhere. My testing showed that once the factory OTR type CAI got heat soaked (aka hot) it took a long time for the air intake temps to come down, even when travelling on the motorway. One way to improve it was to remove the plastic strip that covers the gap between the radiator and the radiator support panel therefore allowing high pressure cold air from in front of the radiator to come up the the mouth of the CAI. The MACE unit still out-performed it however.

The best alternative is the MACE CAI. If you don't want to spend that much money make your own version of the S type CAI by finding the intake pipe of a VN-VR V6 and fitting it into the side of the factory airbox and then collecting cool air from below the car. If you want to go real cheap just cut out the front of the lower half of the airbox as suggested above.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
I tested and logged the data. It's all in a thread somewhere. My testing showed that once the factory OTR type CAI got heat soaked (aka hot) it took a long time for the air intake temps to come down, even when travelling on the motorway. One way to improve it was to remove the plastic strip that covers the gap between the radiator and the radiator support panel therefore allowing high pressure cold air from in front of the radiator to come up the the mouth of the CAI. The MACE unit still out-performed it however.

The best alternative is the MACE CAI. If you don't want to spend that much money make your own version of the S type CAI by finding the intake pipe of a VN-VR V6 and fitting it into the side of the factory airbox and then collecting cool air from below the car. If you want to go real cheap just cut out the front of the lower half of the airbox as suggested above.

Just on the CAI comparison , is there one between the Mace and the SS Growler kit , I had a Growler on my VX with the ecotec , and have a Mace on my SV6 , but to see a comparison of the two systems on two cars of the same type , would be interesting , given the price difference of the two items .

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I've not seen a comparison. Steve @ MACE would know if one was done. The Growler is SS inductions take on the enclosed pod filter CAI. Looks fancy but I don't know if it would actually perform any better.