Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT 5.0 V8 won't start

jman_71

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive V8
Hi all, I'm just about to start trying to fix this and would appreciate any advice.

I've got a 5.0 V8 VT, it's been running rough at idle (misfire) for the last month or so and also felt sluggish up hills, it was fine at low revs if you put the foot down. The other things I've noticed recently is that occasionally it smells of fuel in the engine bay, I think when hot but not 100% sure.

Driving home the other night it just died on the freeway while cruising at 100km/h, towed home. The engine cranks over on the starter but won't fire.

A couple of days before it died, the engine warning light came on and it wouldn't change back gears, if I put the foot down got nothing. Stopped the car and restarted and it was fine.

I figure it's something in the electrics/ignition, any tips or thoughts greatly appreciated.

Cheers

GMMAD

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8L GT35 4runner/VK calais
could be a number of things
first step I would look to see if it has spark

jesse'sVT5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS Series 1
Hey champ,

Have the same car, rough idle problem I had was with the tacho needle jumping irregularly. Turned out for me it was a burnt out plug/lead to one of the spark plugs.

Hope that helps.