Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Commodores

Rossbx

Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 VS Commodore Equipe Sedan
Hi all, I have been looking around for a replacement car for my old and very tired VP. I saw a few VT's that looked good but a mate, who is a mechanic, told me to avoid them as they breakdown a lot and are just not a good car, He recommended either a VS or a VX as they were really good cars.
Anyone have some advice for me on this? And are VT's bad cars?
Thanks in advance

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
vt v6s are a bit of a slug, the vx is a better car all round imo.

hsv_timo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
vt are a better car than the vs a bit more weight but alot better ride and comfort

customvt

Reaction score
Members Ride
4.2 vt executive
ive got 2 vts mate 1 stock v6 and 1 stroked v6 and both have been reliable and the stock one has 320000ks on it and still going strong we got it with low ks about 68000 if i rembember corectly and service it regulary they are a good car if you look after them and 100 times more comfort than a vs and if you get an exec its not that much heavier than a vs vt s1 exec=1551kg vs s1 exec=1470kgs

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Your mate is probably thinking that the VT was the first of the new shape after the VS and wasn't fully sorted out, which is probably correct. VT's did suffer from quite a few faults and it took a while to sort them out. The VX was a sort of "sorted out" VT, but it still had its faults too.

Your mates advice isn't bad, really. If you can get a really good one, the VS was a well sorted out car, although it was the first Ecotec model and had its own gremlins. If you go for the VX, get a VX II, they were a sorted out VX, with better rear suspension and other refinements, and they're not too expensive these days. Give the VT a miss - it's getting old now as well as having the bugs it came with.

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
Like all things the series 2 is an improvement on the Series 1.

benjamino

needing some more undies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 6spd + 7psi
yeah mate id recommend the vx s2, comes with a lot more refinements compared to the vt, and u get those sexy rear lights too:)
and there isnt much of a price difference between the two and for the gains u get, its worth it.
i had a vx s2 and was a fantastic car, no faults at all.
and yeah they ironed out alot of the bugs that vts had, as they were the first shape of the series.

gopher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
i once had a vt serviced it at recommended intervals and did 230000 ks in it
had no problems except for its tendency to chew out rear tyres

Alloytec

Reaction score
Members Ride
LS1 VT SS
I had a vt series 2 Gen 3 and it was a great car. Agree with gopher, once the camber issue was sorted the tyre wear was much better.

mines been a great car aswell just needs the rear camber sorted out lol