Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT COOLANT PUDDLE ! When the Car is cooling - overnight - Anyone solve it ?

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
It's probably the tiniest leak to be honest. Recently my radiator started leaking from the end tank, about 1 litre per hour of driving, but it would only leak when the system was hot and under full pressure. If I released the pressure through the cap the drip stopped. Ater replacing the radiator I still couldn't actually find any obvious holes in the stuffed one.
You should take it for a 30 minute drive before taking it to the mechanic so it's fully warmed up. Have them check it out when it's still hot.

Raven blue

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt 1997 series 1, the first one produced
Yeah, not massive leak, but enough to warrant attention and need top ups- something that really shouldn't be happening.

So did you find the problem Big Al? What was it?

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
I'm going to guess heater tap, common fault.

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2

Raven blue

Reaction score
Members Ride
Its the Heater Core !!!!

If anyone has a good contact in Sydney (Southbound - towards Tom Ugly's bridge - Hurstville Kogarah carlton ) who does these please message me.

franklinfrog

Reaction score
Website
www.cheapbrisbanebikes.com
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon 5.7 Auto Wikid Postie Bike
Its the Heater Core !!!!

Oh no. Sorry to hear. This is a big job if it's definitely the heater core and not the heater tap. Whole dash has to come out. Here's a DIY guide. http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vt-vx-holden-commodore-1997-2002/103448-how-heater-core-removal-hoses-photos-thread.html

Here's some more reading: https://www.google.com.au/search?q=vt+heater+core+site:forums.justcommodores.com.au&es_sm=93&biw=1518&bih=773

And here's a shortcut solution that may or may not work: http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vr-vs-holden-commodore-1993-1997/10470-heater-core-vs.html

I've heard a lot of mechanics won't even do this job. Prices vary from $600 up to well over a $1k so call around. Sorry can't help with cheap places, just start calling.

anfz18

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR BERLINA / VT EQUIPE
i would say heater core aswell , my vr did the same thing and no wet carpet - started as a small leak overnight and turned into a big leak so fast ,
the vr having a two way heater tap i just bypassed it - problem solved .
i couldnt be bothered replacing the heater core what a headache .

as the vt has a four way heater tap its not possible , unless you could get some type of u shaped joiner

Raven blue

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah Thanks buddy.

Ive helped with a Mitsubishi one before - seems more work intensive and trying to find all the bolts/screws to get the dash off - once thats off then its just matter of disconnect , change heater unit then re assemble.

I would be weary with that Short cut method. If you look at any automotive pipe connection - there is a ribbing at the end of the pipe that prevents the pipe sliding off. The hose clamp tightens it all down.

Without the pipe and hose fitting over that ribbing - under pressure there could be leak issues - So while the VS shortcut method is ingenious - it could lead to problems - unless of course anyone has an explanation as to how to avoid the issue identified here.