Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT dash cluster light change problem.

ricky0134

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt exec
Hey guys im trying to change the colour of my dash lights to blue with these t5 leds i got off ebay but i can seem to fit them the stock ones twist in and i dont know if i can take the bulb out of the holder on the stock ones.
10927903_10204979636864045_1849991164_n.jpg

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
You do realize that putting in a blue lLED won't make it light up blue on the cluster don't you? If you look at the globe you removed you will notice that it is not green but white, the green colour comes from a green film on the back of the face of the cluster. This film needs to be removed in order for your blue LEDs to light up blue.
That LED pictured is a wedge type, no way it will fit. You need something like this.1 X NEO Wedge SMD SMT LED Bulbs T3 T4 T5 White Blue RED Green Amber Hvac AC | eBay

lynx2093

Reaction score
Members Ride
None.
the light will come through as blue..
BUT it will be shitty
there will be hot spots all over the place and it will just look ugly
dont bother i did and changed it back the next day

s_ikari2015

Fun IS easier with an 8
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 Monaro V2 CV8, '90 Toyota Sera
all you need is some fine grit sandpaper and sand the back of the cluster fascia plastic, the one with all the numbers on it, until you no longer see the green. You'll need to pull the cluster apart and use a fork or two spoons to take the needles off. There are threads on this.

You will also find, as said, unless you get ultra bright wide angle neo wedges you will have hot spots and it will look kinda blah. It's up to you. Not all LEDs are the same.

Timmah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais
Hotspots can also be avoided by sanding down the LED itself. it makes the light more diffused, and almost completely eliminates them.