Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vt faster than vr??? (i dont think so )

Bz Kn33z

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VN V6 Turbo
Also the VP motor has longer runners on the manifold.

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
I still think the Ecotec is a better motor overall, The perfect example was Hozy's VN with the ecotec transplant, Way quicker than any other full weight v6 commodore with only exhaust. I believe it was also later tuned by Dr Bob running the stock vn Delco ecu.

Here's the vid YouTube - VN Commodore with ecotec transplant

holden boy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx s
o come on my vx type s is pretty quick keeps up with my mates ss ute same type and also is faster than my other mates vt super6 and my bros vy with extractors and full system and its pretty standrd just got bigger leads , simota air filter and st pipe at the tip instead of the muffler and a lsd . i guess it all depends on how luckey u are with if u get one of the good engines or not. but it wastes my mates sp20 mazda wagon and my other mates vl gts so im happy with my vx

moogley

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs exec,vr calais
my lil ecotec goes hard for they weight it pulls being in a calais but its left a vt 5lt calais for dead and the vt had exhaust and inlet mods and was toped with a hsv tune, couldnt catch me and not that its as impressive but beats my mates vx ss to 120 and thats shift kitted exhaust n inlet

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I still think the Ecotec is a better motor overall, The perfect example was Hozy's VN with the ecotec transplant, Way quicker than any other full weight v6 commodore with only exhaust. I believe it was also later tuned by Dr Bob running the stock vn Delco ecu.

Here's the vid YouTube - VN Commodore with ecotec transplant

You can see the engine light on hozys car that was the knock sensor not hooked up. He later put one on but it wasn't right I don't think he ever really ran the tune from bob since it was a bit mild. He ended up driving it to Hakhawk's and they logged the car and made a vr based tune for it but everytime they booted it, it retardard the timing to like 10 degrees because there was still a problem with the knock sensor so it was never as fast as it should have been, I think he got the knock sensor fixed up in the end but I'm not sure. Anyway it ran fast even not running correctly:p

Aliens

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN 1988
your talking as if a s1 will absolutely eat a s2 and is in a class of its own?? they are a bit jumpier off the mark thats about it..

No, I didn't say that at all.

Obviously you haven't read the post and/or haven't understood it.

Your post is a good example of what I said in the last paragrah of my post.

Aliens

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN 1988
Yeah in a race a stock VN S1 vs stock VP the VN is slightly quicker off the mark, that's all. The VP has a better top end thanks to the longer duration cam and better exhaust manifolds, combined with the weaker tune that puts them about even on the top end

S2 units scored the cast iron exhaust manifolds, in order to quieten the noise of the engine. These were the worse flowing economy log style, rather than the better flowing collection point style S1 mild steel manifolds. The first 'fork' manifolds were actually designed for the engine. The performance difference isn't huge though anyway.

As stated previously the Phase 2 cams are lesser performing than and don't have the violent nature of the Phase 1 cams. Phase 1 cams have more lift and different fuel mapping. Phase 2 cams as mentioned previously just seem to run out of puff at just about any speed when running comparable mem-cals (not identical mem-cals, since the cams are different).

Aliens

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN 1988
Also the VP motor has longer runners on the manifold.

Actually, no it doesn't! All you need to do to see is measure them. They aren't even consistant in length.

As already mentioned the S2 (e.g. VP) exhaust manifolds were cast iron log style rather than mild steel collection point style in order to quieten the engine. The earlier manifolds perform a small amount better.

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
Yeah im suprised it ran as quick as it did on the standard tune, would of been great to see what it was capable of. Gotta love all the comments on that video