Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vt faster than vr??? (i dont think so )

sway9

The Rejectz Commodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT, Mazda 3 SP23, Hyundai Getz 1.4ltr
i lit it up against an XR6 turbo in my 98 VT dnt think he'd done much to the engine tho. my SP23 is quick it'll leave most 6's for dead from the line and it cruises fairly smooth but from bout 80km/h and up V6 kills it. i should know i own both of em and there both my daily drives. i think mainly power to weight the mazdas fairly light and the 2.3litre is fair large engine for the wieght its like a speedboat shell with a 2.3 engine lol

Eliminator

Reaction score
Members Ride
Maranello red Vn V8 Calais
Theres only a 5 kilowatt difference between the 2 litre and 2.3 litre so there both fairly comparable against each other... you cant say a v6 kills from 80 onwards, my mazda 3 is quite good flatchat from 80 and will reach 100 in about the same time as a v6 whether it be a vn or a vy, the v6 most likely is a bit quicker but not by alot.. like i said i timed my mazda 0-60 in 8.4 seconds which is what a vn-vy v6 does stock.

nicko

Carbon Positive - DO IT!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
75 cruiser ute

Bz Kn33z

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VN V6 Turbo
The honda didnt know he was going to drag in reverse leave him alone lol.

nicko451

Nicko
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive V6 5Spd
i have a manual vy and mine dosent pick up that bad at all! never been beat by a vr/vs

Bz Kn33z

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VN V6 Turbo

Aliens

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN 1988
Phase 1 VN Series 1's (in good working order with the original computer chip and cam-shaft) are the fastest. They are significantly faster in terms of acceleration than updated V6s - especially Ecotecs (VS onwards). They were rated at 7.8 seconds to 100km/h, and were more powerful than the all of the carburetted V8 Commodores - 20 years ago in 1988. They produced the same amount of torque at just above idle, that the VL Skyline engine did from 4,000RPM. The torque curve before torque converter changes started to happen in 1989 was flat at 92% torque produced all the way from just off idle through to about 4,000RPM.

With the stock crush bent restriction exhaust they still don't run out of puff until 90km/h.

They also don't do well in high revs - they are pretty much useless above 4,000 rpm.

In October 89 they introduced Phase 2 of Series 1 - a lower performance quieter smoother cam shaft was installed, however, ignition timing was advanced by a few degrees throughout. These new cams ran out of puff when driven hard, but were quieter, smoother, and less violent, plus the extra timing made up for the differences for many drivers.

In November 90 Series 2 came out with the same cam shaft but with a low performance mem-cal (several degrees less timing throughout).

Many VNs have mis-matched chips etc these days so you can come across even more differences between different VNs.

Another problem is that so many people just automatically assume that VNs are just weak V6s without knowing of the huge amount of complications let alone that different Phases of one series occured, let alone other changes and even the fact there is a Series 1 and 2, and so on... Things aren't so simple as 'it's a V6'...

Eliminator

Reaction score
Members Ride
Maranello red Vn V8 Calais
your talking as if a s1 will absolutely eat a s2 and is in a class of its own?? they are a bit jumpier off the mark thats about it..

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Yeah in a race a stock VN S1 vs stock VP the VN is slightly quicker off the mark, that's all. The VP has a better top end thanks to the longer duration cam and better exhaust manifolds, combined with the weaker tune that puts them about even on the top end