Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vt faster than vr??? (i dont think so )

Aliens

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN 1988
Theres only a 5 kilowatt difference between the 2 litre and 2.3 litre so there both fairly comparable against each other... you cant say a v6 kills from 80 onwards, my mazda 3 is quite good flatchat from 80 and will reach 100 in about the same time as a v6 whether it be a vn or a vy, the v6 most likely is a bit quicker but not by alot.. like i said i timed my mazda 0-60 in 8.4 seconds which is what a vn-vy v6 does stock.

Phase 1 Series 1 VNs do 0-100 in 7.8 seconds.

This is 0-100 - not just 0-60.

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
I had a VT, on gas, with extractors and a cat back 2-1/2 exhaust, other than that stock..

My mate has a VN, V6 with a stage 3 shift kit, 3.9's, minispool, full exhaust, extracotrs, hi flow cats, ..

And his brother has a VP with the same mods done to it, but not a minispool, an LSD.. and a huge ego!!

They were always talking it up because they would kill my VT from a standing start, like, on the roads at a red light, 0-60, they'd kill me.. but one day when we went dirt bike riding up my uncles farm, we gee'd up a drag, (on his driveway) took the bike trailers off..
From a standing start the VN would pull away probly about 4-5 car lengths, after i'd hear the wheels chirp - big time.. he'd pull away a bit more - then the VT ate it after that.. like by the time I had made up the 4-5 car lengths id go shooting past him almost like he'd backed off... and the VP, it would only get one car length on me before I went shooting past him,

After that they had a little bit more respect for the ol' VT.. They still used to drag me off at the lights, but i'd just putter along, catchup later down the road - they were like ''ohh what happened'' i just used to laugh and say ''remember up the farm....'' haha,

You could call the VT's a little sluggish off the mark - stock, but they more than make up for it further down the track.. (where can you use that on the road - pretty much nowhere, I'd like to see them both on a drag strip - fairly stock aswell..)

BUT another mate had a series one VS, V6 auto, live axle?? (solid diff - not IRS) and this thing was a weapon, used to kill the VT down low, his car was stock as a rock except a pod filter, lol.. it would get the wheels turning just about anytime..

I think the VN and VP, before they thrashed em bad, might've been a bit quicker, but they were well worn in the time at the farm.. lol

EDITED: Added the bit about the VS...

Last edited:

Eliminator

Reaction score
Members Ride
Maranello red Vn V8 Calais
They are significantly faster in terms of acceleration than updated V6s

That statement makes it clear that you think the s1 will do circles around a s2, after all its only a v6 dude even a heavy ba falcon will match it on the 0-100 and flog it over the quarter mile.

yes i did read your post correctly, we all know the series of changes that went on from the 1988 realease of the buick in the vn through to the last of the vr motors theres no need to try and convince us it is the best motor that has ever been released & 'kills'' buick/ecotec v6's because in all honesty the s2 & ecotec is alot better than the s1 any day of the week & match it in performance, only people that praise the first second you put the foot down will argue otherwise, ive owned 4 v6's in a combination of s1 and s2 buicks in my life i know what im talking about, and s2 IS the better motor.

Last edited:

Eliminator

Reaction score
Members Ride
Maranello red Vn V8 Calais
by the way the s1 manifolds are crap, looks like they just slapped it together for the release of the v6, the s2 manifolds clearly flow better.

sway9

The Rejectz Commodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT, Mazda 3 SP23, Hyundai Getz 1.4ltr
well it'll beat mine :) mine got crushed Thursday. semi side on BOOM!!!! so im on the look out for a new 98 VT to rebuild :D

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
S2 units scored the cast iron exhaust manifolds, in order to quieten the noise of the engine. These were the worse flowing economy log style, rather than the better flowing collection point style S1 mild steel manifolds. The first 'fork' manifolds were actually designed for the engine. The performance difference isn't huge though anyway.

As stated previously the Phase 2 cams are lesser performing than and don't have the violent nature of the Phase 1 cams. Phase 1 cams have more lift and different fuel mapping. Phase 2 cams as mentioned previously just seem to run out of puff at just about any speed when running comparable mem-cals (not identical mem-cals, since the cams are different).

There is no way the S1 header is better than the Series 2 cast manifold. If you look at a VN S1 header you can see the pipes from the front and rear face each other, it's complete fail, I've raced a mint S1 VN that run 6.9 0-60 mph against a mint VP both with lowish km/s and apart from the little jump off the line the VP was on the way to catching up by the time they reached 80 km/h there's really nothing in it. Over the 1/4 mile they would have crossed the line together if not with the VP in front

Bz Kn33z

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VN V6 Turbo
Intake manifold on the S2 VP motor, is 1 inch atleast longer than the S1 VN motor, get a ruler out and measure it, unless you dont have 1 :)

Nzpure

VS L67
Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 Vs Supa6
Yea im sorry, never been beaten by a vn and they have tryd.
Specially now with the twin throts 0-100km 6.75sec woot ..... i just cant get enought of mentioning that =D...o and last night was going 100kms and put my foot down to see how it would go... scared the living **** out of my it just got up an farkin went like it had neva gone b4 was 100% surprised at performance increase up top

sway9

The Rejectz Commodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT, Mazda 3 SP23, Hyundai Getz 1.4ltr
i was in my step dads VT today he's got rocker rollers, CAI and 70mm throttle body and i slaughtered a VX SS off the mark he only got in front of me by .7 of a second. this was on a closed road and it was meant to be a drag