Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Holden, Sound system - Exterior - Interior - Mods!

VT_99

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim S2
New to this so thought I'd start by talking about my car. First up it's a 1999 December built VT Acclaim Series 2 Phantom Mica. I'm the second owner, bought it with roughly 160k now has just hit 180k km's. Don't have a pic of when I first got it but it's looked the same for a few years, haven't really done anything to the exterior. It sits on CSA 16" 5 spoke wheels (yea crappy and old but can't be bothered buying new wheels, looks fine to me), lowered with king's sl's all around. Calais/berlina bumper and side trim with chrome grills and Calais/Berlina chrome inner door handles. Inside, pretty much stock apart from a sound system and L.E.D lighting. Got 4 12" SMD million colour L.E.D strips, one under glove box, one under steering wheel, one under front seats (for the people in the back). Now the sound system. First up, started with an old school pioneer tape deck with a 12 stacker cd player in the boot and kenwood coaxial speakers all around. Then upgraded to an Alpine CDA-117E deck, JL Audio coaxial's all around, a single Alpine Type X 12" sub and Alpine 1000watt mono amp. Also upgraded the battery to a D34 Yellow Top Optima battery to provide some extra juice. I've recently bought another Type X 12" sub and am confused on how to install it! At the moment I've got the single sub in a 1.5cube box tuned at around 45hz (slot ported). Sounds pretty decent, but not the best. I want it loud, and I know ported gets loud and deep, but the subs are designed for sealed. I've heard both applications but both seem appealing! I'm thinking to just go with a dual 18mm sealed and internally braced box with 1.25cube's per chamber. Anyone have any suggestions? Below are some pics of the car. If use have anything to say to help me improve it then let me know :) By the way, engine is only a stock ecotec, looking at improving but don't know what to do with it so yea, help! Thanks.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.JPG
7.jpg

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
New to this so thought I'd start by talking about my car. First up it's a 1999 December built VT Acclaim Series 2 Phantom Mica. I'm the second owner, bought it with roughly 160k now has just hit 180k km's. Don't have a pic of when I first got it but it's looked the same for a few years, haven't really done anything to the exterior. It sits on CSA 16" 5 spoke wheels (yea crappy and old but can't be bothered buying new wheels, looks fine to me), lowered with king's sl's all around. Calais/berlina bumper and side trim with chrome grills and Calais/Berlina chrome inner door handles. Inside, pretty much stock apart from a sound system and L.E.D lighting. Got 4 12" SMD million colour L.E.D strips, one under glove box, one under steering wheel, one under front seats (for the people in the back). Now the sound system. First up, started with an old school pioneer tape deck with a 12 stacker cd player in the boot and kenwood coaxial speakers all around. Then upgraded to an Alpine CDA-117E deck, JL Audio coaxial's all around, a single Alpine Type X 12" sub and Alpine 1000watt mono amp. Also upgraded the battery to a D34 Yellow Top Optima battery to provide some extra juice. I've recently bought another Type X 12" sub and am confused on how to install it! At the moment I've got the single sub in a 1.5cube box tuned at around 45hz (slot ported). Sounds pretty decent, but not the best. I want it loud, and I know ported gets loud and deep, but the subs are designed for sealed. I've heard both applications but both seem appealing! I'm thinking to just go with a dual 18mm sealed and internally braced box with 1.25cube's per chamber. Anyone have any suggestions? Below are some pics of the car. If use have anything to say to help me improve it then let me know :) By the way, engine is only a stock ecotec, looking at improving but don't know what to do with it so yea, help! Thanks.

View attachment 138202
View attachment 138203
View attachment 138204
View attachment 138205
View attachment 138206
View attachment 138208
View attachment 138207

Type X's work a lot better in a smallish sealed enclosure. They're more a SQ woofer than a bass head woofer as well. You need to make sure you feed them lots and lots of clean WRMS power as well. Oh, by the way, nice tidy Vt.

VT_99

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim S2
Type X's work a lot better in a smallish sealed enclosure. They're more a SQ woofer than a bass head woofer as well. You need to make sure you feed them lots and lots of clean WRMS power as well. Oh, by the way, nice tidy Vt.

Yea on the alpine website it says 1-1.5 cubic feet per sub, the box i'm looking at is about 1.25 so pretty sure it'll be fine. I got the mrx m100 powering the single type x at the moment and it pumps pretty clean, just doesn't sound like 1000 wrms. The new dual box is only 80 bucks so won't kill my pocket to get it, if it's **** i'll just sell it and build my own. Cheers, few more mods to come to finish it off.

VT_99

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim S2
Just finished sound deadening my boot lid. Works like a treat, a little louder inside the car and less than half the boot rattle. Next step is to do the inner rear quarter panels and the boot floor. If it still rattles hard then may have to look into a second layer for the boot lid!

666-GMH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive
Good idea with two layers of sound deadening on the boot.
I'm running two type R's and sounds like my boots gonna shake off soon.

Would love to hear the quality of two type X's.

VT_99

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim S2
Yea well at the moment i'm just using some stinger road kill anti vibration stuff from jb hi fi, cost me 150 bucks for 4 packets which done a complete cover of the boot lid using just over one packet. Dynamat will cost me about 300 for the same amount, so may as well just buy another 4 packets and do double layer everywhere! Yea sounds amazing with the single x in, hopefully in the new box it'll still be amazing, just deafeningly amazing. Also just ordered a rockford fosgate T2500.1 amp to power them, should be here within the next two weeks

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
You'll need to deaden between parcel shelf and trim as well. I used expando-foam between there. No rattles anymore.

VT_99

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim S2
Yea I found that out the hard way, rattles so hard against the window it sounds like it's ripping itself apart. I've been told to put a thick towel between there or even two, that way if I want to sell the car I can take the parcel shelf off and take my speakers out. I'll give it a go, if it fails I'll grab some foam. I know the foam doesn't fail because my mate used it in his car and like you said, no rattles anymore. Thanks for the tip. I managed to grab a boot box of dynamat for 160 bucks, 20 square feet. Actually works out cheaper than the stinger stuff because 4 packets cost me 166 and I only got 16 square feet. So know I've done the entire boot, wheel well and all. I'll upload some pictures later on when I finish the corners and do the parcel shelf.