Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT II, Car dies out of nowhere?

tonightalive182

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2
hey, ive got a 99 vt series 2, as i was driving it the other day i stopped to go into shop came out and car wouldnt start like it was out of petrol, so as mines dual fuel (not factory i dont think) switched over to lpg but i know i didnt have in gas in it still started but was chugging as it had harldy any gas, so switched back over to petrol started fine drove onto road and then it started chugging and i couldnt accelerate over maybe 1500rpm-2000rpm at the max pulled in turned off then back on pulled out and did it again then it just died on the road luckily i was rolling fast enough to pull into a street, tried starting would start but was like it was out of petrol so turned off and sat there, was messing around with lpg switch wires as i did knock them out while painting dash and didnt know which ones went where so put both back in opposite spots and it started fine went to servo and put petrol in, drove for about 30 mins turned off once and then drove for about 10 mins before it cut out down the highway, started and died again, messed with wires putting them back in opposite places and drove 30 mins home fine, once home i left car on and wiggled the wires and car died and the wires look like absolute crap not crimped onto ring terminals properly and were really hot, question is could these wires be causing it to die just out of nowhere?, also think when switching wires around my fuel guage has gone out cause its all over the place and trip computer says 800kms to empty off $30 petrol not right at all

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
we no what can happen

images

so go and get it fixed , no one can tell u which wire goes were , I know one thing hot wirers not good. don't just go guessing .

tonightalive182

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2
yeah just hard to take it to be fixed when it dies randomly, and not even sure thats the problem, just thinking it is cause its always ran fine just since ive knocked them out it did it so just wanted to see if anyone had something similar happen or knew something but yeah hot wires like that hot you cant touch for more than a few seconds

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
they can come to you too. look up mobile mechanic, how many wires , and if ya did change it wrong you probably cooked , burnt something out. if it was fine before hand why is it doing it now, maybe ya bugged the switch and its stuck on lpg or both, the only other thing I can think of is ya fuel pump. my car has the led round switch in the dash for lpg , and the wire plug comes out and goes in one way, i'm just thinking to ya gas modulator may be damaged to from incorrect wiring . this is all I can give ya matty so good luck.

one other thing ya can try but its best if a mechanic did it is bypass the lpg system and run it back on petrol , but im not telling you how because I don't want to be liable for it.

tonightalive182

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2
yeah my switch is on that little drop down bit under the steering wheel thats why i think its not factory lpg, so i pulled it down one time and its came out and there is 3 wires on the back and the top and bottom came out which top on switch is lpg and bottom is petrol so yeah might be getting confused on what its on it wires around wrong way, just to me the wiring looks really dodgy, so yeah gonna see if i can get an auto electrician to come check it out for me hopefully wiring just need re wiring at the switch, shouldnt be 2 expensive then, i think fuel pump is fine like you can hear it prime when ignition is on

yeah been thinking of getting lpg out as i dont use it ever