Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vt not starting after rocker install (backfires)

Milesvtcalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt calais
Issue is without measuring preload we are only assuming the heads haven't been shaved or the block decked or an aftermarket cam not fitted and that everything is within spec. Do the former i mentioned above and go from there. He could have a stuck lifter as is reasonably common but until preload is checked we are simply guessing. Mine developed a rattle afterwards but I had to go through the entire process over to figure out where to. It took me days to figure out the issue and then four weeks at the garage fixing the problem, two days work that took weeks before I got the ute back.
Hey mate, thanks for your replies. I can almost guarantee the motor hasn't been decked or the heads have been shaved as it's a stock 3.8 from a vt calais with only 190.000ks on it. What I'm confused about is the car runs smooth like dead smooth, you cant even feel it running but it just doesn't want to rev or go anywhere, I wouldn't even ride out a burnout in the wet. I've gotten a manual for installation from mace engineering and it never specifies preload it just has a torque reading. The other day when I started the car it was running terribly, shaking misfiring all that kinda stuff but as it warmed up it fixed itself and ran smooth as. Then it started to tick so I took it for a spin and when I came back 15 mins later the tick went away. As mentioned the car felt extremely underpowered and it just didn't want to rev but it still idles well. Confusion. I spoke to a bloke about installing them but he wants $300 just to set the pre load which is completely out of the picture as this is a project car for me, a 16 year old on his L's with no job anymore thanks to covid 19.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Check the preload as i explained how to. It's fairly easy, just takes a while. Write them all down and post the results. For all we know it could be designed for an aftermarket cam, since its not a Mace kit. Preload measurements is the first thing we need to know.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Plenty of u-tube videos showing how to set the preload, doing them all up at TDC isn't the correct method as you need to adjust them in sequence, get a workshop Manuel or download it for free just search google 13 free pdf car workshop manuals, click on Holden and choose the bottom one vt. Ive posted them on here a few times now..

Milesvtcalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt calais
Check the preload as i explained how to. It's fairly easy, just takes a while. Write them all down and post the results. For all we know it could be designed for an aftermarket cam, since its not a Mace kit. Preload measurements is the first thing we need to know.
Hey mate, just seen this. It is a mace engineering kit 1.98:1 ultra high ratio rockers. People keep talking about preload but I've rang mace and ive got the installation instructions and its still not right! Ready to pull them out and put the stock ones back in and sell them and buy a cam :*( only got the rockers because its supposed to be a 2 hour install (I read the instructions before I purchased them) and it's taken me a few weeks and I'm just sick of it... pre load wasn't mention once in the instructions or by mace and you'd figure they would know as they do make them but i dont know anymore... stupid pos making my life difficult

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I have the Mace kit and yes the instructions are only so helpful. The vid Trevor posted is how you measure preload. You won't need a dial gauge though. PM me Sat and I will try to call you and explain the process. Once you have done one rocker the rest are straight forward.

Milesvtcalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt calais
I have the Mace kit and yes the instructions are only so helpful. The vid Trevor posted is how you measure preload. You won't need a dial gauge though. PM me Sat and I will try to call you and explain the process. Once you have done one rocker the rest are straight forward.
Hey mate, unfortunately with my living arrangements (I'm 16) I'm at my father's house right now but on Friday I go back to where my car is located, if we could arrange a phone call that would be so greatly appreciated :D
If they work I'll stick with them but if they dont I may sell them so stay posted if you're interested in some rockers as they may or may not be up for sale next week
Also good news guys, I've found a manual swap for my calais and that will be happening within this month so stay posted for the next post on when I fu## it up and I'm stuck with a broken arm and a stuck flywheel
Once again I'm very thankful for all your guys help and I wish you all well during this covid 19 bullshit