Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT oil burning on inspection

Jamesmaier

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Executive
Hi guys, i was looking at buying my first car and was looking at a VT. I saw onein wonderful condition with the RWC, but after taking it for a drive, i opened the bonnet and found smoke coming from the manifold on the drivers side, oil must have been leaking and couldnt tell where from, but it was def hitting the manifold and you could smell and see the smoke from under the engine area. If anyone can help me out with telling me what this could possibly be and how much for the worst case senario? Thanks for your time guys

227shanno

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss 5.7
sounds like you dodged a bullet not buying it mate.

vt s

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s s1
Most common cause would be just a leaking rocker cover gasket very common on all cars
Possibly also be valley cover but not as likely

Jamesmaier

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Executive
i was thinking the worst maybe a head gasket at worst, just not sure how much to repair, but willing to give it a go if the parts are cheap enough

vt s

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s s1
If it was head gasket you would of noticed it while driving and while you had it running.

pablo

Donating member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Was a 1997 vt v6 wagon
My moneys on a leaking rocker cover gasket, OR, some one may have spilt some oil when topping up the engine oil.

Jamesmaier

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Executive
well got told today it was the rocket gaskter, good guess :)
thanks for the help guys

Kolin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6
You guys are awesome,

I just come back from checkin out my brothers VR and it was doin the same thing, and after like an hour of cleaning oil degreasing it and stuff yeah well I was telling him it could be the rocker gasket but was a bit unsure,so yeah hence the reason why Im on here reading up. only diff is is that its leaking from both sides so I will tackle it on Saturday and hope its just that, will let yous know might find the bastid that overfilled the oil...lol...