Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Performance Problems - Not always?

Muz-VT

Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT SS Supercharged
Well, new air filter & cleaning TB *May* have made a diff .. was still warm when i left to go on a drive this evening, and yet ran rather well, coming home was perfect.. Will try the MAF cleaning next .. noticed when i had the intake arm off today that there was small bugs & leaves on the mesh on the filter! God only knows how that had gotten past the air filter! Cleaned the mesh with a rag, but didnt touch the actual filter .. would a normal "degreaser" spray (ie, superchaps deagreaser in a can) work the same as the crc stuff? Seems to be good at what it does .. used it on the TB, eats up the grime, and leaves a VERY nice clean TB atfer its done :)

DO NOT use degreaser & DO NOT touch the insides of the MAF.

Only use “CRC Contact Cleaner”.

Electrical / Electronics guys use this stuff to clean contactors and sensitive electronic equipment. The spray comes out very cold does its cleaning and then evaporates quickly leaving a super clean surface.

You can buy the cleaner from electrical wholesalers, around $10 to $15.
Also follow instructions on the can as I think you can “burn” your skin as the spray comes out very cold.

Cheers
Muz

Lord-Data

Reaction score
Website
www.VIDGuide.com
Members Ride
Impulse Blue VE SV6
Cool, CRC it is :)
And to answer the other Q, just a paper filter .. had K&N's before, and never really seen the cost as worth it :)

ProphetVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
A Pushie
i dont know but i do know when i plant it it takes a few seconds to really respond (its fun dont get me wrong) and then it really takes off, slow response i think
Running your stock exhaust system by any chance?

Get a catback and it'll fix your throttle response when planting it no worries. The standard system is too restrictive and drastically hinders throttle response, thats a common problem on most 6's.

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
dunno if this helps but you can bet that at least 70% of performance problems are electrical orientated bad leads bad plugs bad ignition or coil packs are always usually the culprits the more rpm the more spark is needed check your leads and plugs if not your coil/ignition pack could be on its way out but before you do that try some injector cleaner it does help a bit could explain your bad fuel useage (might be gettin to much fuel down low from a leaking injector then goes hard as the rpm increses as spark increases to ignite fuel mixture then again i might be wrong but hope this might help anyway

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
It just sounds like it's the hot warm days being the problem, my GENIII has the same issues, on real hot days it isn't as responsive, If it is the temperature of the intake air, I can't see how by changing the oxygen sensors fixing the problem as they only register how much oxygen is being burnt. Not the temperature of the air and exhaust gases.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
I havent read what everyone else has posted, but have you had the trans looked at recently? It can really hurt a cars performance, on cooler days and when not heated it will feel more responsive but then slowly get sluggish, had the problem myself until i had RVO build me a transmission to suit my application. Also, may be worth looking into a better cold air intake setup to remove aNY doubt there.

VT_Boi

VT Holden By Design
Reaction score
Website
www.sunshinecoastcommodores.net
Members Ride
VT Holden By Design
My problem was the trans. The valve in there when it gets hot forces fluid out and the performance suffers. I have had the tranny redone, with a new valve put in and the car runs like new.

This may not be the issue for you guys though, but might be worth a check. :thumbsup:

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
My problem was the trans. The valve in there when it gets hot forces fluid out and the performance suffers. I have had the tranny redone, with a new valve put in and the car runs like new.

This may not be the issue for you guys though, but might be worth a check. :thumbsup:

Good to se others had a similar problem, makes a world of difference when corrected :)

Muz-VT

Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT SS Supercharged
Lord-Data,
Any luck on the problem yet ?????

Cheers,
Muz