Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Redback Exhaust problem!

scott93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Wagon
Hey guys, i only just bought a 2.5" redback VT/VX/VU exhaust system with single muffler and rear resonator, i have seen plenty of videos with guys having the same system as me but mine is completely quiet with a deep drone, basically the stock exhaust sound but a tad deeper. Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening? I had it installed by my mechanic and he was cncerned as why it was sounding stock but a tad deeper like a complete drone

Any help would be awsome because i am really dissapointed

NaY 2.0

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim
Hey Mate

Cut out the resonator and just make it straight pipe

The resonator basically reflects the sound waves back, Within a frequency range. Basically it cancels out the sound in certain RPM ranges. Depending on the type of resonator off course.

The most common system i hear about ( and i had ) on the Mangtec's is A front muffler and then straight pipe.

off topic Question, Do you know matt tarrant foder? ( Same age as you and lives in your area )

Ash

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT Calais
Hey Mate,

Is it a V6 or a V8?

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
Give it a couple of weeks to burn off some of the filling in the mufflers and it'll get louder.

scott93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Wagon
Hey Mate

Cut out the resonator and just make it straight pipe

The resonator basically reflects the sound waves back, Within a frequency range. Basically it cancels out the sound in certain RPM ranges. Depending on the type of resonator off course.

The most common system i hear about ( and i had ) on the Mangtec's is A front muffler and then straight pipe.

off topic Question, Do you know matt tarrant foder? ( Same age as you and lives in your area )

Yeah i was thinking it could be the resonator, but ive seen heaps of systems for the vt wagon on youtube with resi on back and it sounds great

And yeah dude how the hell did you know that haha he went to my primary and highschool and soccrr team

NaY 2.0

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim
Yeah i was thinking it could be the resonator, but ive seen heaps of systems for the vt wagon on youtube with resi on back and it sounds great

And yeah dude how the hell did you know that haha he went to my primary and highschool and soccrr team

He's my cousin.... haha

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
So it's Bigger and better flowing, and a bit deeper and louder than stock Isn't that what you want to happen with a 2.5" cat back?

Is it loud at full revs?

scott93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Wagon
Haha mate there is nothing loud about it, it sounds stock at revs over 2000 and below tjat its a soft quiet drone, it doesnt sound anuthing like guys ive seen on youtube with the exact same setup as me
I contacted the seller from the ringwood shop and he said the system he sold me was perfectly fine :s
Its properly installed by my mechanic, cat connection gasket is there, i have no idea what to do about it