Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vt ss limp mode

Kc686

Kane686
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vg commodore ute
Hey guys got a vt ss
The other day it wasn't idling properly an would stall, that went away the next day by itself it just started driving normally again then yesterday I was driving along and notice my dash wasn't working, nothing on it at all, it was still idling an when I took off it had bugger all power so I put my foot down and the dash then kicked in an it was all full power again so it went into limp mode no idea why then this morning it happened again so I pulled over an turned it off.
Wouldnt start Wouldn't wind over had the Reds but nothing so went an moved my terminals around ect an still got no kick. So I roll started it on a slope (it's manual) and it started but had no dash again an was in limp mode so I drove it to my parents place in limp mode then where coming into their street it fully died while driving..

No idea where to start any help would be great

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
My guess is that the regulator in the alternator is not working properly.

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais V8 International
Yeah +2 for the alternator

HSV08

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT HSV SENATOR SIGNATURE
Limp home mode will still allow a start and run. Timing will be locked to 10degrees and will be locked in 3rd you will still have dash though as that's all controlled from bcm. I'd say you have a power or earth problem.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Limp home mode will still allow a start and run. Timing will be locked to 10degrees and will be locked in 3rd you will still have dash though as that's all controlled from bcm. I'd say you have a power or earth problem.

The OP has a manual. Limp home mode is only relevant to automatic cars.

HSV08

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT HSV SENATOR SIGNATURE
Negative. It is in all them. When the ecu faults enough to cause LHM. It will run on the backup netres on the memcal and run on its analog fueling and lock timing to whatever base is set as as the ignition module is no longer communicating with The ecu.
The auto locks itself in 3rd as that's the default position for the shift solenoids when there is no power to the auto.
The PCM equiped cars don't run the netres on the memcal but in the PCM itself.
So to correct your statement manuals do have limp home mode
:)

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Negative. It is in all them. When the ecu faults enough to cause LHM. It will run on the backup netres on the memcal and run on its analog fueling and lock timing to whatever base is set as as the ignition module is no longer communicating with The ecu.
The auto locks itself in 3rd as that's the default position for the shift solenoids when there is no power to the auto.

Unfortunately the netres is no longer there, VR V6/V8 and VS II V8 were the last (VS V6 and III V8 don't).
But yes when the **** hits the fan the ecu/pcm will default to basic ignition (well it's not the ecu anymore but the ignition module controlling this) and fuel maps (basically lhm) to get the car home/mecahnic with later models.
Error codes will still be logged, either in history if simply turning it off and on again clears it so it will run normally or in current if the problem won't go away.

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
if its a 5L check the earth strap from the alternator to the chassis, if thats **** or loose you get weird ass electrical errors and limp mode etc like what your describing.

had that happen to my old 5l cars in the past.

LumpyHQ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Supercharged L67

Hey HSV08, I've got a vs ss 5 speed manual that has gone into limp mode. It wont throw any fault codes (but I've heard this is part of the whole LHM cutting communication) any ideas on how to get it out of limp or to diagnose the issue when scan tools wont communicate with ecm? Any help is appreciated