Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT starting Issue

Jjfur87

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE SV6
I have a '97 VT Acclaim, and I've been having issues with it starting. It starts up first time without any issues, but if I drive it somewhere, and then turn it off, it won't start again, unless I leave it for at least 15 minutes. All the electrics come on, but it won't turn over, almost as if it were in gear. When it does start again, it runs fine, without any issues. It happened a couple of times over about 3 months, but it has now started to become more and more frequent. IF anyone has any ideas what could be wrong, please help. Cheers.

Cameron P

Reaction score
Members Ride
REDHOT VX SS
yeah +1 on the starter motor
sounds like its slowly starting to flunk out...

timothy1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX II SS
When you try to start the car, is the little red immobiliser light flashing? If so, try locking your car, then unlocking the car, then try starting the car again straight away, before the immobiliser light starts to flash again (I think it takes around 60 seconds between unlocking the car (then doing nothing) before the immobiliser light starts).

This is what happened to my car, I had trouble starting it but everytime it didn't start, that red light was still blinking. I was told make sure I start the car as soon as I unlock it and see how that goes.

So far so good.

nate-vy

Reaction score
Members Ride
blown vy v8 ute
is it an auto ? maybe the dooba that tells it in park may be buggered ? not allowing it to start as it thinks its in gear ?

bhopper

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt spac supercharged 6,vp bt1 5.0,vyss lshulk
hey there try all of the above if not could be a starter relay heating up and needing to cool down for it to function properly

CV6Z

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Commodore
i have this EXACT problem - battery is fine but i have been having trouble with starting my VT V6. as you said, all the electrics come on no drama until i try start the car and it slowly turns over before not being able to turn at all!!??? ive had to jump start it 3 times now..in bewteen in not starting the motor does struggle to turn sometimes as though i have a flat battery but the battery indicator light is green (ok).. starter motor maybe? or starter relay?

tianna89

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt commy
hey guys i didnt want to start up a new thread so i hope you can help me here.
i bought a vt commy executive sedan on wednesday last week. when i got it to my auntys i filled it up to full. the gauge worked fine then within 20m's the fuel light came on the it dropped to empty when i stopped at the lights. the next day i took it to the mechanics and they said there was an error code coming from the computer and they reset it and sent me on my way with the diagnosis the sender unit needs to be replaced. i drove it home from sydney (890kms) with the gauge working (did not replece the sender as i could not afford it) the light came on after i filled it up to full again but then went away and stayed at full. i ignored it. the car was working great and giving me much better fuel economy then my previous xr6t which i was wrapped about.
today i had an issue at home and had to be rushed to hospital. i jumped in my car, and started it. it started okay but within a few seconds just died on me. it felt like i had run out of fuel but with 3/4 of a tank i refused to believe it. i tried again. it didnt start, and third time wasnt lucky at all.
the cars battery is fine and not flat, the fuel pump makes its normal sound and the car will start ticking over. it sounds like it wants to start but something just isnt right. we filled the car up thinking somehow it could have leaked or drained out, did not fix the issue. i tried using my spare key thinking the battery in the key may have been flat and wasnt turning the immobiliser off, still no go. we checked the fuses and relays on everything (ignotion, fuel pump, etc) and still no go. ive called our local mechanic and they wont even look at it and advised me to put it on a car trailer and take it to the next town (150kms away) which is not really a doable task for me at the moment.
please all mighty holden gods, any ideas?