Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vt To Vx (boot)

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
DeanoHSV said:
just go and buy the vx garnish and swap it on....looks better and its $110 plus painting.
If you paint the VT garnish you will see the lines around the reverse lights on the garnish.....and it doesnt look flash.

i just replaced mine instead of painting over and looks really good.

If ya primed n filled those lines along with the whole garnish will u still see the lines after u paint it???? ive seen a few paint n it does look cheap but i wanna paint mine only coz i like havin the key hole 4 the boot even tho u dont need it and coz i wanna paint it black 2 match the tail lights n still have the blue strip at the bottom..... but i was told u have 2 change the licence plate lights on the vx garnish is this true also???? or do u get the plate lights with the vx garnish???

andrew05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Belina
If you change from VT lights -> to -> VX lights

make sure you don't lose the reflectors - VX exec tail lights have no reflector - reflector is in the bumper assy itself.

If you get VX belina/calais tail lights no prob - these ones have reflector built in.

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
wrx884 said:
If ya primed n filled those lines along with the whole garnish will u still see the lines after u paint it???? ive seen a few paint n it does look cheap but i wanna paint mine only coz i like havin the key hole 4 the boot even tho u dont need it and coz i wanna paint it black 2 match the tail lights n still have the blue strip at the bottom..... but i was told u have 2 change the licence plate lights on the vx garnish is this true also???? or do u get the plate lights with the vx garnish???
the panel beater said no matter how well you fill and prime it the line will still be there and the paint will crack along it.

yeah its different set of number plate light but there cheap as anyway..not sure how much and i think its separate.

i got the panel beater to drill a hole in the vx garnish the same size as vt for the keyhole because the VT doesnt have emergency release in the boot and because my subs were mounted against my back seat if the electronic module stopped working to open boot there was no way of getting into boot unless i smashed my custom sub box :cry:
but the garnish sticks out further than the vt one and the keyhole doesnt work :bang:

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
andrewgrazier said:
does the Vx boot have the water problem the vt ones does??

No. I had both a VT and VX. The VT dripped water inside the boot every time you opened it when it rained but the VX was fine (As is the VY I have now)

Reaper

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
DeanoHSV said:
the panel beater said no matter how well you fill and prime it the line will still be there and the paint will crack along it.

yeah its different set of number plate light but there cheap as anyway..not sure how much and i think its separate.

i got the panel beater to drill a hole in the vx garnish the same size as vt for the keyhole because the VT doesnt have emergency release in the boot and because my subs were mounted against my back seat if the electronic module stopped working to open boot there was no way of getting into boot unless i smashed my custom sub box :cry:
but the garnish sticks out further than the vt one and the keyhole doesnt work :bang:

yer true y does it crack does the garnish have a lil movement in it where the reverse lights join?? yer i cant get into my boot from the back seat either my sub box is blockin that thats another reason y i wanna try keep the garnish tho bein black not glossy do ya think ud notice the lines as much???

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
worst case you paint and you dont like it just buy the vx one and start again..painting it is real cheap

NVE_069

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wh Statesman LS1
got my tail lights today there only exec ones so how do i go about puttn them in i no with my vt the only diff if my reverse lights are in the garnish an berlina ones arnt? i was thinkn just maken the berlina garnish when i get one with reverse ligths in them? and parkers are in mine, is it hard to do whats my best bet lol

beeks

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6 5sp MKII + DR 600S
VT-Berlina said:
got my tail lights today there only exec ones so how do i go about puttn them in i no with my vt the only diff if my reverse lights are in the garnish an berlina ones arnt? i was thinkn just maken the berlina garnish when i get one with reverse ligths in them? and parkers are in mine, is it hard to do whats my best bet lol
You can have a go at modifying the reverse light,if you are confident.If not,Holden can supply you with the appropriate harnesses particular to your application.

VT_Boi

VT Holden By Design
Reaction score
Website
www.sunshinecoastcommodores.net
Members Ride
VT Holden By Design
vh sl/x said:
vts have a problem in the garnish seals seem to leak. causing water to leak in to the boot.

I have had Torana's. Kingswoods, and Commies have all leaked water in them at some stage (even my 2006 vz crewman) . It wouldn't be a holden unless you got some water in your car. :yeah:

NVE_069

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wh Statesman LS1
however,you will need to run a piece of wire from the right tail light to the left to accomodate the reverse light.The colour of the wire you will need to run it from is green,this is for power,the connection is already earthed on the other side.Goes without saying that you reqire a VX or Monaro harness.Make the conection on the harnesses themselves instead of the cars wiring.Just one wire,green to green.

Lol i no its been long time comen but i ended up putin the tail lights in, n found out wot u mean by needing to run a wire to the other side, wounder why thay didnt make it int he 1st place but ah well i will b going an gettin some wire an doin that tomorrow. mind u i have done one thing i said i hated which is left the vt garnish on but im biddin on 1 atm n im gunna go to the wreckers an c wot i can find tmorrow.