Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Ecotec] VT/VX/VY Manual Conversion tips

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
You can continue using the same BCM and wiring loom, however due to my experience in getting the PCM reprogrammed I think it will be easier and cheaper if you are able to locate a manual PCM and have it linked to your BCM. But ring around and try to find places who are actually able to do the work, don't send the PCM off to some random person on the Internet to do it for you...

madrx3boy

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT Acclaim
Thanks mate, I read further up the page something about getting the PCM out of the [manual model] of the car its going into - how will this work for the models which never had a manual from the factory (eg Calais, Berlina, Acclaim)?

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
I would assume that for the Berlina and Acclaim, as long as it's for the NA V6 it should work fine... I'm not sure if there are variations in the BCM design for the higher-end models though that may cause conflicts? At the end of the day though, the PCM is just the powertrain control module and I'd suggest they have a fair degree of interoperability. But I'm no expert :)

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
No need to swap everything, just the PCM and get a good auto electrician to link it to the BCM.

madrx3boy

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT Acclaim
Yeah that's what I would assume too - PCMs from 2 cars of same engine, trans, and similar age, but different sub-models, would be the same. I might contact Holden and see if the part #'s for PCMs of the different sub-models are the same.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy commodore
Hi guys have a vy v6 commodore series 2 would I need to change my cluster when I convert it to manual or can I use the auto cluster thanks

madrx3boy

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT Acclaim
Still haven't had time to do the conversion, hoping to get around to it in the Christmas holidays.

Anyway I have another question - are the flywheel bolts and thrust bearing the same for both the dual-mass and single-mass setups? Or are they different? Can anyone provide me with part numbers for these to suit the single mass setup (doesn't matter if it's Holden part #s or aftermarket eg Exedy).

Cheers

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
www.devildrake.deviantart.com
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
Still haven't had time to do the conversion, hoping to get around to it in the Christmas holidays.

Anyway I have another question - are the flywheel bolts and thrust bearing the same for both the dual-mass and single-mass setups? Or are they different? Can anyone provide me with part numbers for these to suit the single mass setup (doesn't matter if it's Holden part #s or aftermarket eg Exedy).

Cheers

When I did my clutch the flywheel bolts were different lengths (as Solid mass flywheel is smaller than a dual mass) But the clutch kit should come with the bolts to suit.