Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[General] [VT/VX/VY/VZ/VE] Everything to know about OBD2 (ELM327) Diagnostic Cables

MANX SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS ute
Nice write up TazzI.. I will be fitting my 3.9 diff soon and have been told the speedo will need changing and was wondering how to do this? I know nothing about computer software and could do with the most simple solution. I will not have any access to anyone elses OBD2 equipment, I live in the Isle of Man in the U.K and without going over to England to find someone that does computer stuff I am a bit stuck. Would you suggest buying a machine that plugs into my ecu and how simple are these things to work? I need something that has an easy list from 1to10 and job done machines if possible.

john.heath46

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore ve
want scanner

Iv got some emails with people having issues with bluetooth elm327 devices and also connections with the iphone.

First off, just dont use a bluetooth device! Unless you pick one up from scantool.net and pay the $80+ for it.. since they are apple certified and will work with androids and iphones. The sh*tty bluetooth modules for $7 on ebay are literally hack jobs, ripoffs of the clone units that have bluetooth modules retro fitted to them. Even thought they are advertised to work with iphones... they simply dont!

Using an iphone/android/tablet is cool. But you can get much better applications on the computer plus have a very fast,reliable connection using a USB ELM327 cable.

Also, for anyone trying to connect to bluetooth on a PC, almost ALL pc software has been developed using a USB elm327 cable.. they are not designed to tolerate any lag on baud rate differences from bluetooth, so again, just stick with the USB devices and all should work fine without any hickups!

*Update
Attempting to make a bluetooth ELM327 change baud rates results in causing serious issues in car including Key locking/unlocking malfunctions and preventing car from starting! Just a warning for those playing with a BT device.. dont change the baud rate from its origirnal value of 9600baud. (or whatever its set to).
Solution to the above is to unhook battery for 5-10mins to reset everything.

am interested to buy your elm327 cable scanner for $70.my mobile number 0437453896

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
I'm looking to grab one of these TazzI, does it just throw out the codes and I need to look them up or does it tell you what they are?

PM me if you want, if I don't hear back here I'll contact via your website.

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
Brought mine today , now to wait for it too come

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
So I can use the ELM with a laptop?

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
So I can use the ELM with a laptop?

Yep thats correct!.

Yup only way to use nightmare on elm street software :p unless there is someway to get it running on a windows tablet.

Iv successfully used SOE on a touchscreen windows tablet before. It does require a bit of precision when using your finger as the mouse. Preferably a touch pen would be perfect. Big fingers and small buttons dont mix!

Im hoping to make it more "touch friendly" in later updates so it can be full screened happily on a tablet or similar. I actually set the tablet up for logging, and leave it on the passenger seat or in the glove box.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Sounds like what I want, going to order one and see - the Monaro threw up the "check engine" light and I want to know what it is because sitting in the drivers seat not a damn thing has changed just the bleeping light.

I'll be using a laptop so I'll report back when I get it - just a suggestion TazzI - have you thought of showing your diags running and it showing a code or historical codes or something, the YouTube demo shows a car that has no faults so I don't really get an idea of what is going on from the video.

*edit*

actually looks like you are out of stock according to the website - please let us all know when you have more.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Sounds like what I want, going to order one and see - the Monaro threw up the "check engine" light and I want to know what it is because sitting in the drivers seat not a damn thing has changed just the bleeping light.

I'll be using a laptop so I'll report back when I get it - just a suggestion TazzI - have you thought of showing your diags running and it showing a code or historical codes or something, the YouTube demo shows a car that has no faults so I don't really get an idea of what is going on from the video.

*edit*

actually looks like you are out of stock according to the website - please let us all know when you have more.

Ah right, if you are receiving an engine light, then you will have at least 1 history fault and possibly a current fault if the engine light is on at the time of reading. Either way you can see the fault logged into he ECU. Reeeeealy common issues to occur though are oil pressure sensor failure and ABS module failure.

In VT-VY, ABS module failure causes an ABS warning on dash though along with an engine fault, although no fault is actually logged into the ECU because the ABS module is preventing communication on the ALDL line which then causes the cluster to not "see" the ECU or any other module causing heaps of faults to display on the dash... kinda like if you power a cluster up outside of a car.

Ah yes, I do completely agree, but the latest video you see there was my own VE SS which has no faults. The purpose of it was to display the live engine/transmission data viewing. The only way to display the fault reading is to power the ECU up on bench (I did in an old video) to make faults appear and demonstrate that section, although I cannot then display the live data viewing easily since theres no inputs into the ECU.

The next video I make, I think I will have to take two recordings, one in car and one o the bench to cover both sections. :beer chug:

Oh, and have just updated stock, the site ran out last night but theres still plenty here.