Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[General] [VT/VX/VY/VZ/VE] Everything to know about OBD2 (ELM327) Diagnostic Cables

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Can anyone tell me if the cheaper OBDLink LX from Scantool will work with my VX LS1, including checking and clearing codes?

Can anyone confirm if any of these will work?

OBD2 Scan Tools For Smartphones Archives - Fuel Economy Solutions

Plan to use with Torque Pro and Phone

Thanks

A Highly recommend using the OBDLINK LX. The LX will work on your VX LS1, Your LS1 communicates over VPW. See the below picture showing the protocols supported by the LX (VPW is in there :beer chug:)
OBDLINK_LX_Protocols.PNG

Torque Pro should work fine for basic information. Please note the LX WILL NOT work on Iphones.

Thanks for all the info tazzl it couldn't possibly be anything to do with the app I'm using not supporting vpw? I originally brought it to use with my vz avalanche which I guess really being a vy update will be on that code. Going to look up the scantool bluetooth adaptor now
It very well could be it not supporting VPW!
VY LS1 vehicles are a completely different kettle of fish compared to VZ's (unless a VZ ls1!).

Which app are you using again? Almost all phone apps will have "basic" readings for all protocols. Now I say basic as there will be no manufacture specific information.

If I had enough time, Id work on making an iphone/android application dedicated to Holdens as well. :beer chug:
Just simply not enough hours in the day!

dave64

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx5.7
Thanks TazzI.

Phone is Android. Already downloaded Torque Pro and OBDLink LX has been posted.

Will I have to use the ATSH command? edit: to retrieve codes?

Much appreciated

Dave

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Thanks TazzI.

Phone is Android. Already downloaded Torque Pro and OBDLink LX has been posted.

Will I have to use the ATSH command? edit: to retrieve codes?

Much appreciated

Dave

The applications that you use will do all the work for you. No need to enter in custom commands or anything. That is developer work there.

Have to remember most apps/programs will only read generic information and generic fault codes. Any manufacture specific codes will be unknown, or will not be readable by that application.

Rob76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 3.8L 99 WAGON
Hi TazzI
I've been reading through these threads that you've written ( good stuff ) but I'm still a little confused.
I have a 99 vt 3.8 wagon and am not sure if I should be getting an ALDL cable or ELM327 for it, and/or if one cable will display both live engine data AND faults.
Also I have a MacBook and an iPad, and am not sure what program (if any) might be compatible?

dave64

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx5.7
The applications that you use will do all the work for you. No need to enter in custom commands or anything. That is developer work there.

Have to remember most apps/programs will only read generic information and generic fault codes. Any manufacture specific codes will be unknown, or will not be readable by that application.

A little confused to now.

So what will OBDlink LX and Torque actually read/do on my VXLS1?

I bought aN OBD2 cable off ebay, maybe 3 years ago, maybe one of yours i can't remember. To retrieve codes with that cable i have to use use the ATSH command followed by another command. It reads all available data as far as i know.

Also have a ScanGauge2, reads data but will not retrieve faults

Dave

dave64

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx5.7
I have figured out codes up to P0801 are generic, beyond that they are holden/gm specific. Correct? Is according to Rellim code book.

Is there a list of apps/programs that will do all holden ls1 codes?

Dave

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Hi TazzI
I've been reading through these threads that you've written ( good stuff ) but I'm still a little confused.
I have a 99 vt 3.8 wagon and am not sure if I should be getting an ALDL cable or ELM327 for it, and/or if one cable will display both live engine data AND faults.
Also I have a MacBook and an iPad, and am not sure what program (if any) might be compatible?
No worries. I really need to redo these "How-To" threads and put the supported vehicles+cables at the top!
So, for your VT V6 (3.8L) commodore, you will want an ALDL cable to read live engine data and fault codes. Suitable software for a WINDOWS PC is TunerPro and Efilive V4.
Unfortunately, to my knowledge,there is no suitable software to use for Holden Commodores on an Apple laptop.

A little confused to now.

So what will OBDlink LX and Torque actually read/do on my VXLS1?

I bought aN OBD2 cable off ebay, maybe 3 years ago, maybe one of yours i can't remember. To retrieve codes with that cable i have to use use the ATSH command followed by another command. It reads all available data as far as i know.

Also have a ScanGauge2, reads data but will not retrieve faults

Dave
No worries dave, first lets just split up what each of those products actual do.
The OBDLink LX is the hardware (the tool) which will interpret your cars information.
And Torque is the application which uses tool, to send "read/write commands" to obtain engine data and fault codes.

The "ATSH" command you stated, is a command that can be used by a program such as the OBDLINK LX. Its all stuff that you dont see, but happens in the background as the application communicates with the "tool".

If it was 3years ago, I doubt that would have been me! I have only begun developing on the LS1/VZ ecus starting last year using the ELM devices to be able to read out Holden Specific engine data and fault codes. But theres no reason why you should have to be sending commands manually, it can all be done using modern software.

Im not surprised that is cannot read the faults. Since almost all programs/apps will ONLY read GENERIC faults. All manufacture specific faults are either ignored, or the application doesnt know how to request them.

What is a safe way to make car throw a code?

Dave
Safe... is a questionable term. Easiest/safest way will be to pull the ecu out, and power it up on a bench. This will throw fault codes since it will be missing vital components (like an engine!). This causes no harm to the ecu, or car.

I have figured out codes up to P0801 are generic, beyond that they are holden/gm specific. Correct? Is according to Rellim code book.

Is there a list of apps/programs that will do all holden ls1 codes?

Dave
Almost all applications on apples/androids will be able to read/interpret "Generic" engine data and fault codes like you have stated. BUT, will not be able to understand, or even request the Manufacture specific fault codes. Even if they could, they probably dont know what each fault code means.
So far, the only holden dedicated application I know of is my own free creation SOE (Software On ELM Street). This will read Holden specific fault codes on LS1's happily :beer chug:
Its still a beta application (although.. with 150+ users), and is being regularly updated for the greatest support.

dave64

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx5.7
Ok. Been doing some reading.

Just to clarify. The obd2 cable (has avr chip inside from memory) does read fault codes and came with digimoto.
The Scangauge2 will not read faults, but can be programmed to read GM specific sensors

LX arrived, have had a quick look.

It came with licence for OBDwiz/Touchscan, same thing. You can buy an add on for this for $40 that gives:
Custom DTC Definitions
GM Enhanced Sensors
User-Defined Sensors

If I am reading the above correctly it should do LS1 specific fault codes? if you know the command?

Dave

Last edited:

dave64

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx5.7
Looking for any more beta testers?

My plan was to install a 7" double din android dvd with bluetooth and obd2 app/software. Nice big display for gauges.

Most of all it has to be full ls1 compiant.

dave