Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vt/x/y/z rear brakes on vr/s solid axle

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
Ah, of course the actuator is at the bottom so there is movement there when using the handbrake.
Nevertheless I feel there may be a problem with the pad surfaces not being circular, and/or not being centred in the drum if the adjustment at the top is wound out a long way to make up for the 10mm, or so, smaller diameter that VN_SS_CM, and possibly cuzzy69 ,have on their modded shoes.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
CA1B8A36-F617-451D-BC96-B796D7B9A2D0.jpeg
Never had a issue it but you have to weld both shoes together while installed on hub so you get their positioning right and no Air gap

Attachments

• F1623A9D-DC19-427B-97FD-EE68B607A1D9.jpeg
    F1623A9D-DC19-427B-97FD-EE68B607A1D9.jpeg
    253.8 KB · Views: 172

VN_SS_CM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS
Thanks Marko problem solved deiced to make a new set of pads this time making sure to double, triple check and now it works perfectly in fact too good never had a handbrake this good in 6 years lol...5 and shes not moving and that facing up hill! I purchased a new set off VN shoes and welded them to a set of near new VT shoes. I believe the other shoes are slightly out as you said as my adjuster is not as "wound" out.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
Good to hear ...I always set the vn shoes as they would sit on the hub with with hold down clips springs etc and adjuster at min and slip the vt one piece shoe over the top and check for fit and get them equal spaced at the bottom and see if there is a air gap between shoes and square them up before welding them with a short run and check if the heat has changed anything and adjust if necessary to get them square and weld in another place ...check again and weld totally in 4 places...take off hub and weld on other side .then cut in half and trim

bigchrisv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL's, VK's, VE SSV, VS Caprice
Great write up Marko.
Can i confirm the rotor size and original fitment? You mention 289 x 16mm vented. VT standard is 286 x 16mm solid.
thanks

Last edited:

bigchrisv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi Marko,
I've been on the DBA site. I found the VZ SSZ has a 286 x 18m vented. I take it the caliper has no problems with the added 2mm?
Has anyone used the 315 x 18mm?
I'd be interested in a VT booster bracket as well.

thanks

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
Yes 315 is what I put on my vz with the hsv caliper brackets ....just put them on my cars original rear calipers....it just uses a different bracket that has a little more clearance For the bigger disc and spaces it further out for the extra diameter

bigchrisv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes 315 is what I put on my vz with the hsv caliper brackets ....just put them on my cars original rear calipers....it just uses a different bracket that has a little more clearance For the bigger disc and spaces it further out for the extra diameter
Ahh. I've been searching for what HSV did on the 315 single piston slider. Have you got copies of this bracket?

Cuzzy69

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs wagon exe v6 l67 vx
you mean 286mm ? i did your conversion with the non vented vt disks rear.. works great. i did the whole car master booster front disk caliper etc. all vt or vx same.. just to check the rear vented use the same caliper but diferent pads? i think this is correct ? cheers for the advice. im in the dba catalog.. 286mm vented and non vented listings

Cuzzy69

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs wagon exe v6 l67 vx
ps i have a vs wagon with non abs and live diff.