Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VW Vs EPA drama ?

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Raj

I'm finding it extremely difficult to understand how you can take the view you have on this issue.

If VW themselves didn't acknowledge they were in real trouble, why then have these things occurred?

1. The CEO falls on his sword and resigns.
2. VW sets aside a huge amount to cover restitution work, correcting the vast numbers of vehicles that will need to be "adjusted".
3. The German Chancellor has expressed worry that this issue will have a very serious effect on the entire German economy, at a time when it is already under severe strain due to Greece's failed economy and the sudden influx of vast numbers of refugees from Syria?
4. The fact that US authorities have already indicated that fines can be levied for every single vehicle that passed the specified emissions levels via corporate duplicity (and it can't be anything less - this wasn't just some individual crackpot or clever dick working for VW. It had to be carried out on a vast scale with the knowledge of substantial employees at managerial level.)
5. Economists are already talking about the value of VW taking a big dive on the stock market and the value of VW vehicles already on the road will suffer as a consequence.
6. Class actions are already being formulated within the home of litigation. European customers are likely to follow suit.

Who gives a continental if other companies have done similar things to pass legislated emissions levels? They haven't been caught yet. VW has, big time. And they've owned up to it, too.

Saying that "actual results may differ from those obtained during testing" won't pass muster on this one. They cheated to gain a distinct market advantage. In doing so, it appears they have contravened laws in numerous countries.

They're in real trouble. Tough tit.

Edit: On this issue, I have to admit my lack of sympathy arises from my own experience with a brand new Mk 5 Golf I purchased in2005. It had so many faults, I didn't even bother getting to the end of the warranty before trading it on the VY Berlina. When I chose the Golf, I thought I was buying a premium small car. Big mistake.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
I can take my view because it's right. Simple.

I've already said VW's response, unfortunately, has to be to that of the angry masses caused by the beat up. They're in a PR nightmare caused by completely unfounded media beat up.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline

I've already said VW's response, unfortunately, has to be to that of the angry masses caused by the beat up. They're in a PR nightmare caused by completely unfounded media beat up.

There's only 1 thing to say - VW are guilty of fraud.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Agree, by its definition, VW have committed fraud....plain & simple.

Raj, if VW had have published the true emissions data for these vehicles, where do you think their sales figures would be at ? Would they have even been able/allowed to sell the vehicles in the first place ?

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Raj, if VW had have published the true emissions data for these vehicles, where do you think their sales figures would be at ? Would they have even been able/allowed to sell the vehicles in the first place ?

Considering it's a California test issue only, the issue should be isolated there. But because of the beat up, it's global.

Uchū Kaizoku

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
SS-V Arcadia
Considering it's a California test issue only, the issue should be isolated there. But because of the beat up, it's global.

Its much more sinister and wide ranging than that. Declaring their TDI engines meet Euro Class 5 in terms of NOx, when they don't normally. In Australia the US tier 2 is 5/10 on our green emissions guide rating under euro 5, and currently we rate emissions standards on new cars under Euro 6.
Having said that, the investigation revealed the Germans were trying to pull a scam by an order of magnitude greater emissions than Tier 2.
So nah, is not a beat up. Good laugh at the greenie euro buyers though haha!

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
*yawn* zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2

Well, OK, you are certainly entitled to your opinion.

However, on this one, I think history might repeat itself.

"There will be no VE Series 2".

Remember that one?

JMP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Berlina
I love the argument that VW did nothing wrong cause they passed the test even though what they sold to the public is not what passed testing. That argument gives hope to all the car enthusiasts that have built cars, put stockies on, quite exhausts and standard ride height to pass inspection then as soon as they get passed they take off mufflers, put oversized wheels on and dump their cars to the max.

Guy to officer "sorry sir but my car passed inspection yesterday so it's legal, your test is flawed cause I changed all this after it was inspected and thus still complies"