Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vx 3.8 ecotec into a hilux .... bcm dramas

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Things changed a fair bit from VT onwards as the BCM became the bus master and the PCM, ABS, Dash etc all been slaves.

VN/VP only had a ECU, VR/VS use a PCM and BCM but the PCM is the master.

philmoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
holden hilux
So here is where im up to..... have got the bcm and the ecu (i know its called something else but cant remember )
I have put an led on the immobilizer indication output (flashing light on dash).... wired it up so that if i earth the key while the key is in the slip ring the led goes out (as per drawings)
Connected the red and black wire from bcm to ecu (that seems to be only security link wire ?)
I have power to the red lead on injectors.
Power to the dfi (tested car with start ya bas...d runs fine )

But i cannot seem to get power to the fuel pump relay from the ecu ..... which makes me question do i have the immobilizer switched off or is it still on.... do you guys know should the light flash at all when its turned off , mine flashes when immobilized and no flash at all once i do the key trick thingy...
Lucky I'm already bald ! Lol

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Probably best to post up over on the PCMhack forum, couple of clever guys there who have done these types of conversions and will be able to point you in the right direction.

If the LED stops flashing it would indicate the security has been switched off but the fuel pump not getting any power would indicate the PCM hasn't received that signal from the BCM and is still in the immobilised condition.

philmoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
holden hilux
I have it running guys.... Going to test drive tomorrow.... Its now manual with no ecu mods... I'm crossing fingers it doesn't notice it lol...
I wired the ecu, bcm, slip ring in... Now i have a immobiliser hilux lol... Who would want to steal it tho ;)
Thanks for your help.... And to the man who sent the drawings... You are a legend! Thanks so much.

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais V8 International
Did u get the hilux rv6 manual box? Or r u using a t5 or something else?

Mine destroyed 3rd gear in the standard box (which was originally behind a 2.4 diesel making a whopping 65kw...so no surprise there haha. Also went thru 2 rear diffs. Have fun with it...come winter time u might want to load up the tray with sandbags...they get pretty hairy even driving sedately

philmoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
holden hilux
Ha ha this is my slow hilux !.... my old one had a worked 308 in it !
Its on YouTube... v8 hilux beast.
Old one had to be taken off the road, as i finally got it running right it would spin rear wheels at 100 in 5th in rain! Bloody scary !... had it for few years as the play toy .... but threw a bearing and kaboom ! Still have the conversion kit as still have the old hilux for parts. (in vid it was not even close to how it was when i finished tweaking it). Was originally going to put new engine in but got this new hilux for less than a new 308.

philmoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
holden hilux
Oops its original g52 hilux 5 speed... most manual hilux are g52... its a bellhousing adapter from marks 4wd conversions. Needs fair bit of work to get them in ... engine mounts etc.
I love having an old hilux as i go up toowoomba range daily and the amount of stares i get as i fly past people in newer utes struggling ... and im in 5th !

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais V8 International
The g52 isnt terrible, it will work, but depending on how hard u push it, it may not last.

Look into the r150/r151 box for a bolt up conversion. They are essentially still the dyna box, but maintain the alloy housing instead of steel. The r154 is pretty much off the table as its the turbo supra box with completely different ratios, and getting a transfer box on the back of it isnt simple

philmoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
holden hilux
I'm not worried about gearbox... I dont do mad skids anymore... Im too old lol...
Right guys i have a annoying problem that i cannot figure out... When car gets up to about one third temp the idle goes mad...
It surges it revs up and down constantly.... At high rev its about 1000.... Low its about to stall
Tried two other air idles valves one off a vt and other unknown.... They both immediately unscrewed all the way (internally not fell off) and are now broken.... If i unplug air idle the car idles ok ish... Unplugged maf made no difference other than made it rough...
Didn't do this when in commodore tho...
Any ideas?
Have checked for vac leaks too.... Has no egr... Removed and blanked
Its definitely the air idle doing it but why?

philmoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
holden hilux
Fixed! Air idle chamber crammed with oil residue... When warm it got sticky!
Cleaned with prepsol and earbuds... Runs like a dream now.