Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX Airbag Light?

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
disregard....

VXSS.195

Reaction score
Members Ride
02 VX SS
Just to top it all off my alternator died a little while ago so I bought a brand new genuine Holden alternator and chucked it in. Now unfortunately the battery light is also staying on :( The alternator is charging all good (~14.7v), and everything works as it should, plug that goes in the alternator looks fine, yet the light is staying on..

No change with the airbag light either. I went in to the auto electrician this afternoon and got the car booked in to be looked at professionally as I need these issues fixed so I can get the car in for a roadworthy. He mentioned something about a resistor to do with the driver's side airbag, but will have to wait and see what the official outcome will be.

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
Do airbag systems have a fuse? Maybe it's blown.

VXSS.195

Reaction score
Members Ride
02 VX SS
Do airbag systems have a fuse? Maybe it's blown.

Yep, and I forgot to mention I checked that. I also took it out and cleared the code to see if it would stop the light from coming back on but that didn't work.
Cheers anyway, mate.

chriso-k

Motor Mechanic, SYDNEY
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore
SRS systems coding is quite specific. If the scan tool is advising of a drivers air bag issue, then the problem is usually specific to this locality. Looking around the drivers seat for problems, only investigates problems pertaining to belt pre tentioners etc and thus, steering away from the true area of likely cause. Looking at the drivers side air bag live data would be useful. Look at the actual resistance of the drivers air bag, in the live data. See what's actually been displayed. If low resistance is been displayed, wriggle the connecting wiring whilst looking at the live data, see if there is any change. Disconnect the wiring from the clock spring (make sure you follow proper procedures before disconnecting anything off an SRS system) and see is you now have high resistance in the live data, get the picture? However, you're now entering an area of expertise and this does require knowledge. I can't provide you with a crash course on how to perform open heart surgery on your neighbor, as an example. Be careful the air bag does not go off. These have been known to go off with static electricity off your fingers. Keep your head clear of the horn pad at all times. Preferably to one side well clear of the air bag. Do not interrupt power supply to the air bag at or around the proximity of the inflator. Caution, Caution, Caution! I know, it sounds scary, I don't want to see you hurt. Common sense, ok? Also, the air bag system on the Commodores, will not reset if there is hard fault problems. Meaning existing faults. Furthermore, the air bag system on the Commodore can be temperamental at times and only sophisticated equipment will communicate and clear the system after repairs have been effected. I've often had numerous attempts at resetting an SRS system before finally succeeding. A tip - Attempt to reset the system when the engine is running (why? there is full systems voltage available when engine is running). This may help. I cannot control the specific procedures and actions undertaken by some people. If you use any, all , or part/s of the info I've listed, you do so at your own risk. Air bags can KILL, BE CAREFUL, CAREFUL, CAREFUL! Chris
Hi all,

I have recently purchased a 2002 VX SS, and no doubt it is a wonderful car. All of that put aside, I am having issues with the airbag light staying on.

I have sought advice elsewhere with no luck. I've been told to simply reset any error codes with a scan tool, which I have with no luck. The error that shows on the scan tool is something along the line of 'drivers side airbag low resistance'. I have tried another working airbag in the car, and also replaced the clock spring and cleared the code and yet the airbag light has still come back on. Upon further inspection it does look like the driver's seat has been removed at some point and it's pondering whether or not this may have disrupted something? I've checked the wiring and connections around the drivers seat and all seems fine?

I'm considering taking it to an auto electrician but thought it would be worthwhile seeking advice on here first.

Cheers in advance.

Last edited:

VXSS.195

Reaction score
Members Ride
02 VX SS
SRS systems coding is quite specific. If the scan tool is advising of a drivers air bag issue, then the problem is usually specific to this locality. Looking around the drivers seat for problems, only investigates problems pertaining to belt pre tentioners etc and thus, steering away from the true area of likely cause. Looking at the drivers side air bag live data would be useful. Look at the actual resistance of the drivers air bag, in the live data. See what's actually been displayed. If low resistance is been displayed, wriggle the connecting wiring whilst looking at the live data, see if there is any change. Disconnect the wiring from the clock spring (make sure you follow proper procedures before disconnecting anything off an SRS system) and see is you now have high resistance in the live data, get the picture? However, you're now entering an area of expertise and this does require knowledge. I can't provide you with a crash course on how to perform open heart surgery on your neighbor, as an example. Be careful the air bag does not go off. These have been known to go off with static electricity off your fingers. Keep your head clear of the horn pad at all times. Preferably to one side well clear of the air bag. Do not interrupt power supply to the air bag at or around the proximity of the inflator. Caution, Caution, Caution! I know, it sounds scary, I don't want to see you hurt. Common sense, ok? Also, the air bag system on the Commodores, will not reset if there is hard fault problems. Meaning existing faults. Furthermore, the air bag system on the Commodore can be temperamental at times and only sophisticated equipment will communicate and clear the system after repairs have been effected. I've often had numerous attempts at resetting an SRS system before finally succeeding. A tip - Attempt to reset the system when the engine is running (why? there is full systems voltage available when engine is running). This may help. I cannot control the specific procedures and actions undertaken by some people. If you use any, all , or part/s of the info I've listed, you do so at your own risk. Air bags can KILL, BE CAREFUL, CAREFUL, CAREFUL! Chris

Thanks for the good advice.

I'm glad I've booked it in to be seen by an auto electrician after reading this. I think I've gone as far as my knowledge in relation to auto electrics extends. Better off having it checked out by a professional before I do something regrettable. I'll report back with how it all goes.

Cheers, Ryan.

VXSS.195

Reaction score
Members Ride
02 VX SS
The car was looked at earlier this week, with neither issue 100% solved.

The alternator turned out to be faulty with the light circuit being no good so the battery light stays on all the time. It charges fine, though. Luckily it is under warranty.

As for the airbag light, I misinterpreted the 'drivers side airbag' error code. It actually means the driver's airbag in the SIDE of the seat. If it was the airbag in the steering wheel the error code would have just been something along the lines of 'driver airbag low resistance'. The auto electrician noticed a change in voltage as he was wriggling the airbag in the seat, but didn't want to go to the extent of pulling the seat apart so I'll have to do that when I get time.

VXSS.195

Reaction score
Members Ride
02 VX SS
Another brand new alternator has fixed the battery light issue, which confirms the light circuit on the previous alternator was faulty.

I finally got time to pull the driver's seat apart today to find no visible issues with the airbag assembly. I have removed it and left it out anyway as I've ordered a new replacement airbag assembly which should arrive later this week. Hopefully this fixes the airbag light issue and puts an end to my electrical troubles!

VXSS.195

Reaction score
Members Ride
02 VX SS
Hi everybody,

I'm back with some good news. The driver's seat airbag assembly arrived today so I pulled the seat out and fitted it straight away. I swung around to the auto electricians later this afternoon, got the airbag light reset and voila, it didn't come back on!

So for future reference, if anybody ever gets an airbag error to do with the *Driver's SIDE Airbag*, this is most likely the part which needs replacing -

10003623_10152864896659762_147074526679469100_o_zps1bbf0041.jpg

Very happy to see my cluster looking like this now :)

10259170_10152864891869762_6806039643689594077_o_zpsced3827b.jpg

Cheers, Ryan.